Job Title: Hygiene and Sanitation Assistant
Organisation: World Vision International
Reports to: Community Development Facilitator
Duty Station: Uganda
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Hygiene and Sanitation Assistant will implement sanitation and hygiene activities of the Improved Adherence to Good Hygiene and Sanitation Practices in Kamdini and Oyam project by strengthening the existing community structures (especially VHTs, PDCs and water boards) in the areas of operation in liaison with the HSO. The incumbent will work closely with the Local Government extension staff especially the Health Assistants in the area of work and deliver targets in a timely and quality manner expressed in monthly work plans and monthly reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in assessments of school WASH needs to inform decisions and plans for WASH interventions in the project area.
- Play a lead role in following up target communities to implement sanitation improvement plans together with the government extension staff, (specifically, the Town sanitation task force, HA s, VHTs, & PDCs).
- Identify and lead the mobilization and sensitization of target communities on sanitation and hygiene to ensure adoption of positive behaviors e.g. Hand Washing, Latrine use and refuse disposal
- Support establishment and implementation of activities of Hygiene Clubs in schools
- Establish and build capacity of O&M structures (PTA, SMCS & HMCs) for school and health Centre sanitation facilities to ensure proper use and maintenance of the facilities
- Work closely with the informal sector in the town board to develop and implement a sanitation improvement plan activities.
- Organize and use relevant IEC material /channels to disseminate WASH messages to target audience.
- Actively participate in collection of useful data, success stories and beneficiary lists as required on a monthly basis.
- Any other duties as assigned by the respective supervisors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The prospective World Vision Hygiene and Sanitation Assistant employee should hold a diploma in Environmental Health Sciences, Water and Sanitation engineering (or related disciplines) from a recognized training institution
- One year of previous experience in implementing health, and WASH related activities preferably within a NGO
- Broad knowledge about CLTS, CHAST and PHAST methods are added advantage
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills
- Good computer skills and ability to write technical reports
- Excellent communication skills and be courteous in working with communities.
- Broad understanding and knowledge of PRA methods
- Good riding skills and must possess a valid riding permit (class A)
- Fluent in applicable local Languages and English.
- Computer literacy skills
- Willingness to live in the rural communities in the project areas.
NB: This vacancy is open to Ugandan nationals only.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
Please follow instructions on How to Create Account and Profile at World Vision’s e-recruitment portal. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 28th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline