Job Title: Accounts Officer
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Accountant
Position Code: AO816
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Accounts Officer will provide financial support to various aspects in the accounts department to include Petty cash management and cashiering, to assist in producing monthly cash and bank reconciliations, for review by senior management in finance and operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Making petty cash payments, checking of claims, filing of receipts, checking accountability and imprest reimbursement, balancing the cash daily
- Sending reminders to staff about pending Cash advances, and escalating to Senior Accountant after where there is no response.
- Entering journals in the accounting system (Dynamics) and ensuring entries are correctly coded using the Unit expense code and cost centres.
- Carry out monthly reconciliation of Bank and petty cash accounts balances.
- Maintaining and ensuring the safe custody of financial records and documents.
- In charge of depositing and with drawing cash as required cash.
- Observes compliance with accounting SOP’s in all accounting entries.
- Raising invoices and following up to ensure payments are made and receipted in the specified timelines, and chases up outstanding balances.
- Helps resolve any general accounting queries on request by sourcing information from the system
- Offering technical support during internal project audits by availing requested documentation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in business administration or Accounting, Commerce or a related field
- A minimum of two years’ experience working in a busy accounts environment in an international or research organisation.
- Broad knowledge and experience working with MS Dynamics Navision ERP packages
- Cash and financial management skills
- Good people management skills
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: email@example.com. Please quote the position code in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Note that academic qualifications will be subjected to verification by the issuing institutions
Deadline: 19th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline