Job Title: Executive Director
Organization: Wildlife Conversation Society (WCS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Board of Trustees (BOT)
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), an international conservation NGO with its headquarters at the Bronx Zoo, New York, USA has been operating in Uganda for more than 50 years. WCS works to conserve biological diversity and ecosystem function through applied research, management of natural resources and providing technical support to Ugandan organizations and agencies. The Wildlife Conversation Society (WCS) has worked closely with key stakeholders to establish a new entity called the Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF), the role of which will be to catalyse, mobilize and manage financial resources and channel them to biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of natural resources in Uganda for the benefit of current and future generations as well as the intrinsic value of nature. The UBF is the first of its kind in Uganda and is poised to leverage significant financial resources from donors and the private sector to respond to increasing awareness of the importance of biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
Job Summary: The Executive Director will drive UBF towards achieving its objectives and will be responsible for leading and driving the strategic direction of UBF, manage all aspects of UBF, create and oversee the successful implementation of UBFs’short and long term plans.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop and implement long-term plans, annual plans, budgets, operating manuals and policies.
· Steer the development and implementation of the UBF fundraising strategy in consultation with the Board of Trustees.
· Research and identify potential donors, prepare grant applications and negotiate terms of grant agreements with donors.
· Manage the administrative and financial planning processes, provide direction and guidance to senior administrative and finance staff.
· Ensure appropriate development and administration of annual fiscal year budgets, including maintaining communication with and providing timely reporting to donors/supporters and the BOT.
· Administer Board-approved transfers for funds to the beneficiaries and ensure accountability for these funds.
· Manage the implementation of Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) between UBF and beneficiaries or and partners.
· Guide the Board on business plans and operational issues and ensure that the interests of UBF are well represented and promoted during liaison with representatives of government, local and international non-governmental organisations, and donor agencies among others.
· Build, strengthen and manage relations with investment managers/consultants and ensure that any potential risks to UBF’s investments are promptly brought to the attention of the Board for remedial action.
· Participate in the recruitment of UBF staff.
· Work closely with the UBF Board of Trustees to develop the organization’s policies and manuals to ensure effective functioning of the institution.
· Provide overall leadership of UBF by motivating, inspiring, setting performance targets for the various teams, and monitoring the performance of these teams.
· Represent, articulate and speak nationally and globally for the importance of conserving and managing biodiversity and natural resources.
· Maintain working relationships with government, private entities and NGO actors in biodiversity and natural resources.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, a relevant advanced degree will be an added advantage;
· A minimum of ten years of experience in a senior leadership position, with oversight of staff, budgets, and operations in the natural resources industry or conservation projects;
· Significant experience in marketing and fundraising with an emphasis on raising funds from multilateral and bilateral aid agencies, foundations, and corporations;
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and the ability to work with groups and organizations both within and outside Uganda;
· Demonstrable track record of performance, executive presence and decision making, strong marketing and business development skills;
· Previous exposure and experience in working with and reporting to the Board of Directors, interacting with Board members and submitting memoranda and reports thereto; and
· Experience in working with international aid and development agencies, foundations and corporations.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send an application letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com
Deadline: 2nd September 2016.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline