Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer
Organisation: Restless Development
Project Name: Big Idea Programme
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Coordinator
Gross Annual: UGX 16,705,235
Restless Development is the global leader in youth-led development. Our award winning youth-led approach reaches over 450,000 young people weekly across 8 countries in Africa and Asia, and engages 350 youth organization from around the world. Since 1985, we have demonstrated that young people are critical actors in the development, and can drive positive change at local, national and international levels in the areas of sexual and reproductive health, livelihoods and civic participation. Our model is bottom up and holistic, focusing on individual leadership change amongst young people as well as systematic changes in policy and practice towards a more supportive environment for youth-led development.
About Big Idea Programme:
Restless Development Uganda is implementing an exciting youth-led advocacy, research and accountability initiative, implemented in partnership with a major development agency. The programme will promote youth-led social accountability by improving young people’s leadership, life-skills, technical knowledge on civic issues, policy, advocacy and research, so that they are better prepared to actively engage with their leaders. The programme will also see the creation of District Youth Working Groups to strengthen platforms for young people to voice their concerns, lead advocacy and accountability efforts, and meaning fully engage with district leaders. In total, the programme will be implemented in 10 districts of Uganda: Moroto, Napak, Kotido and Nakapiripirit Districts in northeastern Uganda; Gulu, Nwoya, Pader and Abim Districts of northern Uganda; and Kamuli and Iganga Districts in the East.
Job Summary: The Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for supporting the Programme Team while at the same time undertaking some key Head office Finance and administration functions. The incumbent will take lead in the daily, weekly and monthly finance operations, provide support to finance and administration and programmes, and maintain office and administration systems and any other support as may be required from to time.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Undertake daily, weekly and monthly finance operations: 60%
· Ensure all financial transactions adhere to policy and procedure, including relevant authorisation and supporting documentation
· Ensure all financial transactions are recorded and filed in a timely and accurate manner
· Make payments and administer cash advances, follow up accountabilities, and maintain the required accounting records for each transaction physically and in finance force
· Manage the office cash, ensuring sufficient funds are available to support programme operations
· Work closely with Programmes and finance team to ensure timely payment of research stipends on a monthly basis
· Maintain the bank and cash safe to ensure funds are available for all authorised transactions
· Ensure the safe keeping of the accounting records such as authorised requisitions, invoices, receipts, cheque, book, etc.
· Ensure the float register is updated on a daily basis and that Finance force is duly updated with accurate details of payment and accountabilities
· Ensure cash and bank reconciliations are completed every month including weekly cash counts
· Support the Programme and the finance team to prepare regular internal and external financial reports as may be required
· Support other regular finance systems and operations as required
Maintain office administrative systems: 25%
· Follow up to ensure Programme timesheets are duly received and handed over to Human Resource coordinator
· Ensure vehicle usage is pre-authorised teams and all approved requests filed to Justify journeys covered for close monitoring of vehicle usage
· Support Finance and administration team on procurement support at Head office
· Ensure all field payments and accountabilities are duly checked, stamped paid before they are updated in finance force
· Ensure all financial documents are duly filed and labelled for a quick retrieval during audits or as may be required from time to time
· Regularly monitor stationery requirements and make orders for replenishment as required from time to time
· Support to make bookings for central events, meetings as may be required from time to time
· Ensure all staff taking assets out like computer, Cameras and Projectors have signed approval authorisation on file and conditions is assets is ascertained at all times before custody
· Support to other regular administration systems as may be required
Provide support to Programmes and Finance Admin unit: 10%
· Offer timely support to staff during inductions as well as during central financial training to researchers and volunteers
· Provide support required on spend to date to Programme teams and liaising with relevant programme teams for feedback
· The incumbent will support the Programme, Finance, Fundraising and grants team on financial reporting
· Provide regular updates to the programme team as may be required from time to time
Other Duties as Required 5%: Other duties as required, including occasional work on weekends for which time off in lieu can be taken
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal applicant for the Restless Development Finance and Administration Officer career opportunity must hold a University degree in accounting or finance or relevant field of study, or equivalent work experience, Part ACCA qualification
· One to two years’ experience in development/business sector
· Computer literacy i.e. knowledge of IT, especially Word and Excel (experience with Finance Force or accounting systems preferred)
· Excellent organisational skills and methodological approach to financial management
· A strong personal commitment to the values, aims and methods of Restless Development
· Ability to travel regularly to rural areas and spend nights if necessary
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Ability to analyse problems and make sound operational decisions
· Demonstrated experience in accurately entering financial data in accounting or administrative systems is desired
· Previous experience working in a multicultural environment
· Prior experience working in UN, EU, DFID and USAID funded Projects
· Fluency in English with exceptional written and verbal communication skills
· The individual must be results-orientated, highly self-motivated and have demonstrated analytical skills.
· The successful candidate will thrive in a multi-cultural environment as part of a rapidly growing and developing organization and be personally committed to Restless Development’s mission and values.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a filled application form, download here, to email@example.com. Please note that we DO NOT accept CVs, resumes and cover letters.
Deadline: 26th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline