Job Title: Director of Legal
Organization: International Justice Mission (IJM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director of Casework
The International Justice Mission is a global organization that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. International Justice Mission partners with local authorities to rescue victims of violence, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen justice systems. The International Justice Mission (IJM) Uganda is working to eliminate property grabbing in Uganda by bringing rescue and restoration to individual victims, accountability to their perpetrators, and transformation to the public justice system as a whole.
Job Summary: The Director of Legal will lead a team of professionals to intervene on behalf of widows and orphans victimized by property grabbing, assist the Director of Public Prosecutions to charge and prosecute perpetrators, and inform efforts to strengthen the public justice system.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Legal Team Leadership and Management
- Lead and manage the casework and training activities of the Legal Department;
- The incumbent will delegate assignments, workload, and tasks among members of the Legal Department;
- Improve work product of Legal Department through training, mentoring, and oversight;
- Supervise, support, and manage the efforts of the Legal Team;
- Supervise case intake and client screening based on established criteria; and
- Represent interests of the Legal Department to other departments and staff.
- Evaluate, develop, and implement intervention strategies for IJM cases;
- Encourage and support State Attorneys in the prosecution of property grabbing perpetrators;
- Coordinate and lead mediations, negotiations, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution in IJM cases;
- Ensure that government offices (Lands Registry, Administrator General, etc.) take necessary action;
- Represent IJM clients in civil litigation and in the administration of estates;
- Supervise legal research and conduct brief writing and oral advocacy on behalf of victims of property grabbing; and
- Track case related data in paper and electronic case tracking management systems.
Casework Team Support:
- The incumbent will coordinate with IJM Investigators to investigate allegations of property grabbing and ensure all evidence is collected in an admissible form;
- Cooperate with IJM Aftercare Specialists in identifying psychosocial needs of victims;
- Assist in hosting guests, visitors, and volunteers; and
- Participate in IJM programs in professionalism and Christian spiritual formation; and
- Maintain Practicing Certificate and participate in CLEs relevant to IJM’s casework.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Degree in law, successful completion of LDC, and current Practicing Certificate;
- At least five years’ experience as a practicing attorney;
- A minimum of two years of experience leading a team or organization preferred;
- Excellent critical thinking, legal analysis, and oral and written advocacy skills;
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel;
- Previous experience in civil and/or criminal litigation preferred;
- Driver’s License preferred.
- Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Passionate commitment to IJM’s mission and values;
- Professional in demeanor, appearance, writing and oral communication;
- Works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude;
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
- Intelligent, organized, creative and proactive problem solver; and
- Ability to cooperate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluency in English and Luganda, with excellent writing and speaking in both;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the International Justice Mission (IJM) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline