Organisation: Makerere Institute of Social Research (MISR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Makerere Institute of Social Research (MISR) was established in 1948 as the East African Institute of Social and Economic Research, serving several countries in East Africa. It became MISR in 1970 and is affiliated with Makerere University, Uganda’s largest public university. MISR envisions itself as a centre of excellence in multidisciplinary research that aims to improve academic knowledge, inform public policy, and contribute to economic and social development. MISR’s mission is to respond to the needs of society through professional research, publication, training, and outreach activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop and implement Makerere Institute of Social Research, Makerere University communication strategy;
· Document and coordinate dissemination (through conventional and new media) of user-friendly project information, success stories, photographs, and achievements to relevant stakeholders;
· Support with drafting key institutional documents;
· Interface with Makerere Institute of Social Research’s team regarding technical aspects of communications-related projects, including; coordinating website design and functionality updates, overseeing email distribution list upgrades, guiding content management system use and training, developing in-house contact management tools, managing communications data; and, other technology related issues;
· Monitoring usage of the Institute’s website using a web analytics tool powered by google;
· Ensure high quality program communication (including but not limited to reports, newsletters, brochures, flyers, ads, promotional videos, videos, slideshows) and multimedia materials to support MISR’s internal and external communication efforts;
· Work with MISR’s management to ensure that all Institute staff are familiar with the Institute’s communications manual and processes
· Work closely with MISR’s stakeholders to develop accurate, creative story ideas for a variety of media and for visibility materials;
· Manage social media platforms and keep them updated;
· Create an interactive internal portal to increase interactions between research fellows, PhD fellows and MISR affiliates;
· Media publicity of Makerere Institute of Social Research events;
· Find new and innovative avenues to communicate Makererere Institute of Social Research messages.
· Managing the print production of an array of research and institutional materials, as well as the design and content of MISR’s brochures, letterheads, banners, and fundraising materials;
· Oversee editing, formatting, creative design, and printing of MISR’s publications and visibility materials;
· Compile and disseminate Makerere Institute of Social Research manual of style
· Ensure proper branding and marking of MISR’s programs, materials and activities;
· Showcase/marketing of Makerere Institute of Social Research publications at policy forums, exhibitions, conferences, seminars, bookshops, etc.;
· In particular, oversee and ensure the publication of Annual Reports, Policy Briefs, Working Papers and all textual material;
· Maintain records of all MISR publications received, sold or distributed to MISR guests.
· Support public events management, media coverage and stakeholder engagement;
· Work closely with visiting academics in advance to ensure that they send through papers to be presented or discussed for dissemination prior to events, such as seminars, discussions, workshops.
Administrative: Development of the Communications and Publications Unit budget; any other duties as assigned by the Administrator or Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a Degree (preferably advanced degree) in Mass Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field;
· At least five years communication/publications experience, preferably in an academic institution/knowledge centre or development field;
· Proven writing (non-technical) and editing skills;
· Develop communications plans to synchronize with organizational goals in fundraising and development, government and corporate relations;
· Develop a communications network to formulate and promote a narrative of the organization’s work;
· Broad knowledge and understanding of conventional and new communications channels, including electronic, print, and social media;
· Strong computer, graphic design, organizational, analytical and assessment skills;
· Ability to develop and maintain relationships with audiences important to Makerere Institute of Social Research, including Makerere University academic staff, media, donors and prospective donors, and corporate leaders
· Ability to represent the organization effectively to external audiences including donors, corporate and foundation executives, business and government organizations and other collaborating agencies;
· Ability to work with minimal supervision and to meet deadlines under pressure.
· Excellent command of English Language;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their applications by clicking on this link.
Please upload the following in your application; an updated CV / resume (PDF or Word Format) which should include your contact information and three work related references and a one page statement describing your suitability for the role should be included.
Deadline: 31st August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline