Job Title: Communications Officer
Organization: Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programs
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-profit organization which implements the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Job Summary: The CRS Uganda Communications Officer will be responsible for developing and executing a marketing plan for the CRS Uganda Country Program, in close collaboration with CRS’ Head of Programs, management team and program staff. The Communications Officer will liaise with and manage external consultants in photography, design, printing and event execution in support of the marketing plan and will build CRS staff capacity in communications planning and implementation. A critical element to the job will be CRS’ brand management in Uganda, in line with guidance and procedures from CRS’ global headquarters in the U.S., which may include media relations. The Communications Officer is a key member of the CRS team and will work closely with Program Managers on a variety of assignments and events, as well as with the Regional Information Officer who can provide guidance and essential links with HQ’s Marketing and Communications team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the Head of Programs, lead CRS Uganda in the development of a marketing plan for the Country Program to promote program visibility and growth. Where applicable, there may be program sector-specific or project-specific marketing plans responding to specific needs and opportunities.
- Take responsibility for the execution of the marketing plan in a timely manager, up to industry standards and in full compliance with CRS’ policies, procedures and guidance documents from CRS Headquarters, in particular from the Marketing and Communications Team. Execution of the plan may require liaison with and management of contracts with photographers, videographers, designers, printers, event organizers and similar service providers among other coordination and management duties.
- Mentor and train senior program staff on key skills and competencies necessary to execute the marketing plan effectively and monitor their use of these skills, identifying areas for future strengthening.
- Support project staff to craft strategic messages about their programs for a variety of targeted audiences and build their capacities at utilizing these messages in diverse settings, from meetings and publications to events.
- Serve as the focal point for any social media in close collaboration with the Regional Information Officer to feed into a centralized agency communication strategy.
- Keep CRS’ Regional Information Officer, based in Nairobi, regularly updated on key communications events, programmatic developments, success stories, high-profile visits and the similar for onward communication to CRS Headquarters and potentially, the U.S. Media.
- Ensure that all project communications are appropriate for the country program (CP’s strategy), identity and the changing operational environment in Uganda, including, but not limited to CRS’ project sites, project documents, video and visual pieces and media-products.
- Take leadership in ensuring that all project communications are consistent with CRS’ branding and publications guidelines, global best practice, the donor requirements.
- Develop high quality monthly newsletters in coordination with CRS staff to communicate CRS work to donors and internally for CRS staff. Help conceive creative ideas and direction and working with writers and photographers/graphic designers within and outside the country program, including consultants.
- Support project teams to develop and/or update project fact sheets for general communication with a variety of audiences and for targeted communication campaigns both in-country and at the Headquarters level.
- Archive photos, videos, fact sheets, training materials and other communications documents on CRS’ SharePoint site or other format and ensure they are accessible to program staff in a timely way.
- Support project teams in the coordination and organization of major events for CRS projects, including project launches, learning events, major donor visits and anniversary events.
- Work in close collaboration with project managers to build partner capacity to organize key partner events and communicate with a larger audience.
- Keep informed of initiatives and programmatic directions in the international and national NGO community in Uganda.
- Assist in coordinating Headquarters and donor delegations to CRS programs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Communications Officer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in International Development, Journalism or Marketing and Communications.
- At least three years of work experience in media, marketing, public relations or journalism, experience working with INGOs or UN preferred.
- Previous exposure and experience in event planning and managing communication strategies targeting a variety of audiences.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously without direct supervisory responsibility.
- Ability to work with stakeholders on multiple levels, including government agencies, non-government organizations, donors, media groups, religious groups (Catholic, Muslim, etc.) and CRS staff.
- Excellent English writing skills, written and spoken.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, team work, good public relations, self-driven, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Highly proficient in MS Office applications and desktop publishing skills.
- Acceptance of cultural differences in a continuously changing environment.
- Mature disposition in appropriately managing sensitive situations.
- Ability to work in quickly and efficiently in sensitive and emergency environments.
- Personal Competencies (for all CRS Staff): Serves with Integrity, Models Stewardship, Cultivates Constructive Relationships, Promotes Learning
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their cover letters, CVs and three work references (names and contact information only) to email@example.com.
Deadline: 17th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline