Job Title: Communications Officer
Organization: Aga Khan Foundation (AKF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Regional Communications Manager
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a private, non-denominational international development agency of the Aga Khan Development Network promoting creative and effective solutions to selected problems that impede social and economic development in parts of Africa and Asia. In Uganda, AKF is managing a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectorial initiatives that includes programmes in education, early childhood development, sustainable economic development and civil society strengthening. Aga Khan Foundation is implementing the ‘Promoting Youth Social and Economic Empowerment through Civil Society and Local Authorities (Youth SEECs) Project.’
Job Summary: The Communications Officer is primarily responsible for planning, developing, and implementing communication strategies for the ‘Promoting Youth Social and Economic Empowerment through Civil Society and Local Authorities (Youth SEECs-)’ project. The incumbent will also be responsible for developing and maintaining partnerships with other relevant organisations, media outlets, government and other AKDN agencies. The Communications Officer will work closely with all AKF programme officers and maintain close interaction with the Policy and Partnerships Manager and Country Office staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in project communications for awareness and influence by ensuring that relevant project communications materials such as brochures, learning briefs, success and human interest stories, factsheets, and info graphics are developed and disseminated on time to the target audiences through relevant-channels.
- The incumbent will build and maintain relationships with media outlets (print, electronic and web-based), including drafting press releases and organising media events, in Uganda to increase coverage of educational and youth empowerment issues.
- Coordinate and monitor internal communications via a monthly newsletter and yearly internal communications audits.
- Facilitate donor and partnership visits by developing visit schedules/brochures, profiles, background materials, briefs and information kits.
- Organize special events and campaigns to promote strategic educational and youth empowerment activities.
- Contribute to the finalisation and production of high-quality project proposals, donor reports, media supplements, documentaries, audio clips, pictures, and other audio-visual communication materials.
- Keenly monitor, evaluate and document the impact of communication initiatives and materials on AKF (EA)’s reputation and reach.
- The incumbent will develop content for AKF East Africa (EA)’s platforms including the intranet, social media, and website.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, public relations or relevant field.
- At least three years’ experience in producing a wide range of strategic communications materials with a reputable international NGO or in the corporate sector.
- Exceptional English communications skills with the ability to produce high-quality reports, publications, presentations, documentaries and other communications materials.
- Previous experience in mentoring and training staff in communications.
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Publisher).
- The candidates should have basic design and layout skills and adept in using Adobe Photoshop and PageMaker will have an added advantage.
- Previous experience carrying out surveys, focus groups, and market research is desirable
- Knowledge of languages spoken in Koboko is a plus.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV (not exceeding four pages) and the names and contact information of three referees addressed to Human Resource & Admin Manager, Aga Khan Foundation (Uganda) via e-mail to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention the title of the position being applied for.
Deadline: 12th August 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline