Job Title: Communications and Development Coordinator
Organisation: World Vision International
Reports to: Communications and Public Relations Manager
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Communications and Development Coordinator will support the IPD with the ongoing creation and maintenance of development communications materials, creation and implementation of events held in ADPs, and districts at National Level. The incumbent takes lead in gathering resources, scouting stories, emergency communication support, and preparation and hosting of visitors to the ADPs and projects. The jobholder will take lead in providing technical capacity building for the ADP Sponsorship staff to efficiently and effectively capture quality media resources for the Sponsorship department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Products, strategies and guidelines developed and disseminated
- Support and facilitate the implementation of NO communication strategy
- Develop a programmes division plan of action for strategic communication and promotion
- Develop communications guidelines to staff and partners
- Programme visibility, branding, messaging and designing and communications materials
- Work with field teams and partners to develop, pre-test and roll out IEC/ BCC material (such as documentaries, posters, flyers and brochures) for awareness creation and education.
- Coordinate the design, development and roll out of the campaign and project/ ADP materials (such as documentaries, posters, flyers and brochures) by working closely with service providers and the procurement team.
- Take lead in the dissemination of the publications such as research findings, policy statements and reports through utilizing strategic meetings and events d in the dissemination of the publications such as research findings, policy statements and reports through utilizing strategic meetings and events
Advocacy and public event planning and management
- Support in planning and organizing public events and outreaches meetings in line with the WVU strategic priorities.
- Participate in ADP assessments and designs to ensure integration of documentation and communication as well as dissemination strategies.
- Build the technical capacity of staff and partners in order to carry out effective documentation and communication, as well as dissemination for advocacy campaigning and learning.
- Enhanced documentation of programmes (e.g. through promising practices, best practices and most significant change stories)
- Support the field teams in integrating documentation and communication to effectively draw lessons and change stories in line with the strategy
- Coordinate the processes of identifying, documentation and dissemination of most significant change stories and promising and best practices using a multi-media platform
- Compile and submit quarterly reports and bi-annual magazines/ newsletters highlighting the programme progress and share them with stakeholders and donors
- Facilitate information sharing at the NO and field teams with relevant publications, reports and news features related to WVU sector priorities
Community empowerment through Development Communication:
- Work in liaison with the Communications team to develop Communication for Development manuals and roll-out C4D in ADPs.
- Work closely with the field teams (ADPs and Projects) to form structures, train staff and community members and facilitate C4D activities.
- Link C4D teams with available media and communications platforms in the communities and at national level.
- Develop and enhance strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for promotion of participation in social and behavioral changes supportive of programme goals
Quality Sponsorship 2.0 products: Facilitate effective production of Sponsorship 2.0 products by ensuring capacity is developed at all levels
Review greeting videos:
- Participate in responding to Support office requests in line with Sponsorship 2.0 guidelines
- Media and publicity messaging
- Build and strengthen linkages/partnerships with media companies to promote ongoing conversation about child well-being at national level and in the districts.
- Design and package key audio and visual messages and ensure placements in different media houses
- Work closely with the print media partners to promote the WVU agenda and specifically target policy makers through strategic and cost effective communications approached
- Take part in strategic networks including Ministry levels, to promote the WVU profile
- Participate in promoting World Vision Uganda’s visibility on existing intranets (such as World Vision Central and www.wvi.org/uganda) and approved social media sites
- Build capacity of staff in media relations
- Actively participate in the resource mobilization through proposal writing and actively represent WV in high profile meetings that may attract funding opportunities
- Attend periodic meetings with the Communications team and create synergies to integrate IPD communications agenda within the broad organization’s communication mandates
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The prospective World Vision Communications and Development Coordinator employee should hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism or communications/public relations.
- A minimum of five years professional experience in journalism or public relations is preferred.
- Excellent writing skills, with photographic and/or video skills also preferred.
- Proven ability to think and manage strategically, plan and meet deadlines.
- An energetic, analytical and self-starting approach to projects that involve significant responsibility.
- General experience in project management, with specific experience in the production of diverse and creative communications projects including publications, multi-media, websites/pages, photo and video reports, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Able to travel and work in the field as an essential function of the position.
- English language fluency (written and verbal).
- Personal faith in and commitment to Jesus Christ, as expressed through World Vision’s vision, mission and core values.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
Please follow instructions on How to Create Account and Profile at World Vision’s e-recruitment portal. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 14th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline