Job Title: Chief Civil Engineer
Organisation: Uganda Railways Corporation (URC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Managing Director
Uganda Railways Corporation (URC) is a body corporate established under an Act of Parliament to construct, operate and maintain railway, marine and road services both inside and outside Uganda for the carriage of passengers and goods. As a result of privatisation of operations, the mandate of URC changed from that of an operator to that of asset holder, concession monitor and advisor on railway technical matters.
Job Summary: The Chief Civil Engineer is the overall leader of the Civil Engineering Department and responsible for planning, monitoring, supervising and reviewing the infrastructure aspects of the Corporation which comprises railway tracks (the Permanent Way), bridges, culverts, level crossings, ports, real estate, stations and terminals, container hard standings, utility lines and land, etc.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keenly monitor the Railway Concessionaire (RVR)’s compliance with the infrastructure concessionaire obligations and regularly reporting thereon.
- Review RVR’s infrastructure investment plans to assess their need, reasonableness and compliance with the concession requirements, and drafting any necessary comments therefrom.
- Inspect RVR’s infrastructure investment work to establish its compliance with the approved investment plans and the applicable laws/regulations/standards.
- Provide civil engineering support to the Corporation’s Finance Department and Concession Department on concession matters.
- Process applications for level crossings and railway sidings including liaison with RVR (where applicable) and carrying out the necessary engineering design work.
- Oversee the regular inspection of the Corporation’s non-conceded infrastructure to assess its condition and to determine its rehabilitation, repair and/or maintenance requirements.
- Prepare the Civil Engineering Department’s annual work plans, annual procurement plans and annual budgets.
- Initiate the procurement initiation of required works, supplies and services in accordance with the Corporation’s annual budget and annual procurement plan.
- Manage the preparation of statements of requirements (designs, drawings, specifications, bills of quantities, schedules, etc.) and cost estimates for required civil engineering works and supplies.
- Oversee the preparation of statements of requirements (terms of reference) and cost estimates for required civil engineering consultancy and non-consultancy services.
- Oversee the provision of the civil engineering support to the Corporation’s Procurement and Disposal Unit including conducting pre-bid site inspections, answering pre-bid queries, evaluation of bids, negotiation of contracts and drafting of contracts.
- Prepare and submit civil engineering plans and reports to the different stakeholders.
- Oversee the management of the Corporation’s properties (land and estates).
- Supervise the staff of the department.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or its equivalent from a recognised institution. Possession of a relevant Master’s degree from a recognised institution will be an added advantage.
- Membership of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers (UIPE) and registration with the Uganda Engineers’ Registration Board (ERB)
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years, at least five (5) of which at senior level, as a civil engineer with a busy Public-Sector organisation involved substantially in the planning, design, construction, rehabilitation, repair or maintenance of civil engineering facilities.
- Previous experience with a railway organisation and permanent way (railway track) engineering experience will be an added advantages.
- Be highly computer literate with excellent knowledge of Microsoft OFFICE, Microsoft PROJECT and Autodesk AUTOCAD.
- Good working knowledge of the Uganda Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets (PPDA) law and regulations. Basic knowledge of the procurement rules and procedures of at least one of the major multi-lateral funding agencies (World Bank, European Development Fund, African Development Bank, etc) will be an added advantage.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Proven ability to work under pressure in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Be a Ugandan citizen.
- Age: Above 43 years
How to Apply:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to send their applications accompanied with a current CV clearly stating current position and responsibilities, photocopies of academic certificates and testimonials and complete addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) referees and their e-mail addresses to the address indicated below;
Office of the Managing Director,
Plot 57, Nasser Road,
P.O Box 7150, Kampala.
Deadline: 29th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline