Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The Assistant Country Director (P)/Head of programme acts as a one of the advisers to Senior Management. In addition to senior managerial functions, the incumbent is responsible for providing the overall Country Programme with management and administrative support, strategic planning, proactive delivery and effective implementation of the entire range of functions in the programme cycle, from conceptualization and formulation to monitoring and evaluation. The jobholder will also work in liaison with Portfolio Coordinators and programme Team Leaders, the ACD/Head of Programme plays a lead role in the analyses of the social, economic, environmental and political context in Uganda and advises on creative responses to emerging complex challenges and possible areas for UNDP interventions within the Country Programme Document (CPD). The ACD/Head of programme also advises the CD and RR on potential areas for policy advice that could have impact in the country and lobby efforts. He/she will also be providing the necessary support to the Country Director in relation to policy advice and guidance to strengthen national capacity to develop effective and sustainable broad-based integrated programmes in UNDP strategic/thematic areas. The ACD/Head of Programme, in close collaboration with Portfolio Coordinators and with administrative support from the Operations team, heads and supervises the Team Leaders and Field Staff. In addition to the senior managerial functions associated with the position, the ACD/Head of Programme advises on potential areas of policy that could have an impact in the country. Other senior management, advisory and policy functions include ensuring accountability and adherence within various UNDP policies and guidelines and CO committees to ensure accountability and staff responsiveness to emerging performance requirements. In addition the ACD(P)/Head of Programme identifies and forges strategic partnerships with government, UN Agencies, bilateral organizations to ensure optimal simplification and harmonization of aid delivery procedures, greater coordination of development interventions and elimination of duplications. The external focus of the job also entails engagement of senior government officials such as Members of Parliament, Permanent Secretaries and Heads of parastatals and government departments for upstream policy advice, formulating national policies and strategies with the parameters established by the RR. The ACD also works closely with technical advisors and experts in UN agencies, UNDP HQ and Regional Centre staff, government, multi-lateral, bi-lateral and civil society to implement UNDP strategy and also serves as member of high-level national advisory technical committees and boards. He/she also establishes and offers advice to national level communities of practice for specific sectors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the CO management team, ensures the strategic direction of UNDP Country Programme Document and related joint UN programmes focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, AWP and other planning instruments. Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation enabling the attainment of the outcomes outlined in the CPD;
- Supports CO Management Team in the operationalization of UNDAF/CPD;
- Document best practices, covering concepts, strategies and implementation approaches and support CO Management Team in streaming programmes policies and practices;
- Also works closely with relevant Government departments, UNDP regional centres on related areas of support, disseminating policy decisions and responding accordingly;
- Analyses and presents UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO;
- Provides support to Senior Management in undertaking office wide activities, large events strategic inter agency activities, knowledge sharing strategies, internal office reviews and evaluations.
Ensures management of the CPD and joint UN programmes and assists the CD in quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation, achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM and Transformational Development tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results;
- Preparation and revision of corporate programming and monitoring tools, such as MYFF, balanced Scorecard, substantive evaluations;
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Effective monitoring and evaluation, measuring the impact of the CPD and related joint UN programmes;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, with possible timely readjustment of programme;
- Leverage technical input from Portfolio Coordinators to promote teamwork, innovations and enhanced coordination of programme management and implementation for results;
- Review and approval of Annual Work Plans (AWPs).
- Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports mobilization of resources with respect to CPD.
- Development and implementation of the CO partnership and resource mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Determination of CO Programme areas of cooperation based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities.
- Research and analysis of donor information and preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Undertake partnership building through participation in joint UN Programming mechanisms, UNTG activities and networks and consult with appropriate government entities, including international policy support agencies and national/international NGOS on issues related to Country Programmes areas.
- Building partnerships with government, civil society, and bilateral/multilateral organizations.
- Working closely with staff from the UN agencies for joint programming and financing within UNDAF.
- Participation in the Inter- Agency Thematic Groups as required and supervision of the participation by Programme unit staff ;
- Responsible for the mobilization of resources in support of national programmes supported by UNDP.
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management, focusing on achieving the following results in the domain of sustainability:
- In charge of the identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues, synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Preparing and updating programme/project briefs and activity information for partners to support UNDP awareness raising activities including through preparation of statements and other communication materials for advocacy of UN principles and UNDP thematic areas.
- Lead and monitor process of implementing policy advisory services as well as delivery of national policy products. Ensure highest standards in the provision of technical and advisory inputs, organization of workshops, seminars, training and delivery of outputs (products);
- Lead the analytical and policy development work of the team and ensure high quality policy products. Contribute to the production of reports and publications, and serve as peer reviewer;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Provision of substantive inputs to government policy formulation and programmes in compliance with international conventions under the auspices of the UN and follow-up on the implementation of Government’s commitment to these conventions;
- Develop country based intelligence on country situation, interests and prospects covering governments, UNDP and major development stakeholders;
Ensure effective management and supervision of the Programme team leaders and field office staff, focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation and achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM and Transformational Development Approach (TDA) principles, methods and tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;
- Design and formulation of the CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities and strategies into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies;
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. al;
- Effective monitoring and assessing the impact (intended or non-intended/positive or negative) of the CO programme to ensure timely strategy readjustments;
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
- Appraisal of Programme Team Leader and field office staff members performance;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s degree in, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management and policy advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, civil society and local communities. Significant experience in coordinating and maintain synergy with development partners and the UN system.
- Previous exposure and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in the English and national language of the duty station.
Core Values and Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Shows strong corporate commitment, works to achieve goals of UNDP as a whole and makes contributions to priorities led by other country offices, regional centres and bureaus
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Continually facilitates the evaluation of learning, knowledge building and sharing, in the local and global communities including knowledge sharing, participates in knowledge reuse and provide feedback around community improvements
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to engage with high ranking UNDP Mangers, Government Officials and International Donor Community and provide policy
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting; full project cycle mastery, excellent work/project planning skills, mastery of UNDP’s programmes;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
- Ability to formulate and mange budgets, mange contributions and investments, mange transactions, conduct financial analysis reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Leads, mentors, coaches, encourages and motivates teams effectively, inspires confidence.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 18th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline