Job Title: Assistant Accountant
Organization: Uganda Joint Christian Council (UJCC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Accountant
Uganda Joint Christian Council (UJCC) is a faith-based ecumenical organization that was established in 1963 and registered as a trustee under the Trustees Incorporation Act. Its current membership comprises the Church of Uganda, The Roman Catholic Church and the Uganda Orthodox Church, which together constitute about 78% of Uganda’s population. UJCC was established after Uganda’s independence in 1962 at a time when the country was undergoing a transition politically, economically and socially.
Job Summary: The Assistant Accountant provides support to the Operations Accountant in managing financial transactions in accordance with UJCCs policies and procedures as well as any government regulations and requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in planning of undertakings for the accounts office.
- Support in the coordination and effective implementation of all undertakings by the accounts office of UJCC in consultation with the Operations Accountant entailing the following:
- Writing cheques and cheque payment vouchers and presenting them for signing, while ensuring that all cheques presented for signing have adequate supporting documents.
- Handle all cheque payments and ensure that all cheques written are recorded in the cheque register.
- Safely keep all Council cheque books and update the Operations Accountant with a record of the cheque books held for each bank account and the number ranges. The used cheque books should be in the custody of the accountant.
- Prepare timely bank reconciliation statements on a monthly basis and make sure they are checked and approved.
- Maintain the creditors and debtors ledgers and ensure they are reconciled on a monthly basis.
- The incumbent will withdraw and disburse funds accordingly from the Bank for the Council’s operations.
- Maintain office petty cash and ensure that all petty cash payments have been properly requisitioned and authorized including disbursement, replenishment and documented in the petty cash book.
- Disburse both cash payments to staff and cheque payments to suppliers.
- Follow-up accountability of financial transactions with staff members and making sure they promptly account within 7 days of activity implementation and report to the Operations Accountant accordingly.
- Ensure that all payment vouchers are properly filed for easy accessibility and with all supporting documents attached.
- Monthly reporting to the accountant providing fully reconciled reports detailing income, expenditure and cash/ bank reconciliations, budget follow ups and tracking.
- Ensure that all expenses are properly authorized before payments are effected.
- Ensure that all payments are prepared on time and in accordance with all financial guidelines
- Maintain a filing system in accordance with UJCC guidelines.
- Prepare the journal vouchers, which refer to the cashier’s activities: journal vouchers for payments and receipts
- Support the Operational Accountant in preparation and follow up of budgets for UJCC projects and programmes.
- Ensure that all bookings in cash-books are done on a daily basis for all undertakings and in strict compliance with guidelines to include advances and pre-payments.
- Assist the Operations Accountant to prepare the monthly staff payroll ensuring that all statutory deductions have been made and remitted to the relevant bodies. In addition ensure that salary advances are recovered on schedule.
- Creates spreadsheets to enable easy cash / required documents handling for UJCC projects and programmes.
- Provides documentation required by Auditor and/or Donors on various financial undertakings of UJCC.
- Actively participate when called upon during external audits of Council’s books.
- Make sure that all cash and cheques received by the Council are receipted and promptly deposited in the Bank
- Participate in the preparation of final Accounts ready for external Audit.
- Keep the fuel order book and prepare fuel orders based on approved fuel requisition forms.
- Maintain a schedule for payment of utilities and standing orders for UJCC undertakings.
- Promote UJCC’s corporate and ecumenical image and status.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the Operations Accountant.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should have at least five years’ experience working in Accounts Department with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge of TALLY Accounting System is a must.
N.B: The successful candidate must be ready to start work immediately after the interview.
How to Apply:
All candidates must attach copies of all testimonials e.g degree certificate, professional certificates, all in Accounting.
Each applicant must attach a letter of recommendation from the mother Church where he/she attends. The letter should be signed by the Parish Priest concerned.
Give three names of referees including your previous supervisors.
Please address your Application to:
Uganda Joint Christian Council
Plot 1554, Block 15, Gogonya Bypass
Kibuga - Nsambya East Zone
P.O Box 30154, Kampala. Uganda
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Deadline: 5th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline