Job Title: Accountant
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Position Code: ACC816
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Accountant will support and deputise for the Senior Accountant when she is away in terms of supervising the department and completing all monthly financial reports for head office and answering ad hoc queries. The incumbent will provide direct support with audits of the Unit, by interacting and preparing information; audit trail data for either internal or external auditors. The jobholder will also provide supervision of accounting by ensuring that accounts procedures and internal controls are operated according to the Unit SOP’s with oversight of the work produced by the accounts officers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Senior Accountant in the day to day accounting, financial analysis, month end and annual reporting and provide support to unit managers.
- The incumbent will manage the routine financial transactions of the unit, ensuring that all income and expenditures are efficiently processed in accordance with MRC/UVRI policy and procedure
- Conduct monthly reconciliations ensuring that any anomalies are investigated until they can be resolved
- Ensure that the financial activities of the accounts team are compliant with the laws of Uganda, donor requirements and best practice in financial management
- Mentor and supervise the Accounts Officers, in a manner that empowers them to deliver excellent customer service and high standards
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce, or Business Administration.
- Part qualified professional Accountant qualification (ACCA, CPA, CIMA,) working towards full qualification
- At least three years’ experience in busy accounts office with direct supervision of personnel
- Excellent spread sheeting skills and other Microsoft Office programmes.
- Working knowledge of MS Dynamics-Navision; Oracle ERP system and databases.
- Previous experience in a medical/Humanitarian or research organisation.
- People management skills
- Personal integrity
- Quick learner able to work with minimum supervision and meet tight deadlines
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: email@example.com. Please quote the position code in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Note that academic qualifications will be subjected to verification by the issuing institutions
Deadline: 19th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline