Organisation: The Water Trust (TWT)
Duty Station: Kiryandongo and Masindi, Uganda
The Water Trust (TWT) develops and implements Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) projects to combat disease and poverty in the developing world and allow people to live empowered lives of dignity. TWT collaborates with the local government, village leaders, and community members to enable village, schools, and health centers to create access to safe water, latrines, and hygiene education. Since 2008, TWT has implemented more than 300 projects in Western Uganda, benefitting more than 120,000 people. Headquartered in New York, TWT aims to be a leader in pioneering innovative new approaches to help foster healthy communities.
Job Summary: The School WASH Officer will plan, manage, implement and monitor WASH activities in rural schools to promote and improve water, hygiene and sanitation good practices in schools. The incumbent will also develop and build capacity of school management committees and community members to effectively operate and maintain school WASH infrastructure.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Steer the implementation of School WASH positive behavior change strategy.
- Train school administrators and teachers in the Child Hygiene and Sanitation Training (CHAST) approach and oversee its implementation.
- Support School Health Committee (SHC) in planning and implementation health and hygiene promotion activities.
- Strengthen School Management Committees to successfully operate and maintain school WASH infrastructure.
- Establish productive working relationships with school administrators and government officials to promote good WASH practices in schools.
- Significantly contribute to needs assessments of prospective schools to inform program design.
- Keenly monitor and ensure functionality of School WASH facilities, including improved water sources, latrines, and hand washing facilities.
- Evaluate success of school intervention in accordance with organizational policy and maintain related data and records.
- Develop and submit progress reports on activities to meet organization reporting needs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a diploma in environmental health science, public health or any discipline related to Water, Hygiene and Sanitation and two years of field experience OR the equivalent of five years of relevant field experience.
- Previous experience implementing WASH projects on behalf of an international development organization.
- Strong knowledge and skills in school WASH promotion tools or other behavior change approaches such as Child Hygiene and Sanitation Training (CHAST.)
- Experience in hygiene promotion and behavior change communications.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proactive and results-oriented.
- Comfortable and capable adapting work and priorities to respond to changing situations in order to advance organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong computer skills, notably in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Able to both work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a larger team.
- Good spoken and written English.
- Possesses a valid riding permit and knowledge of road rules.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of the Masindi and Kiryandongo and local languages is desired
- Experience in conducting Training of Trainers (ToT) sessions at the school level.
How to Apply:
All candidates who so desire to join The Water Trust in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 6th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline