Organisation: Promoting Equality in African Schools (PEAS UK)
Reports to: Finance Manager Schools
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Promoting Equality in African Schools (PEAS UK) is a UK-based charity with a mission ‘to unlock the potential of Africa by expanding access to affordable quality secondary education.’ We run the fastest growing network of sustainably financed secondary schools in Africa. We currently have a network of 24 schools across Uganda and Zambia, educating around 8,000 students. PEAS is supported by major corporate, government and private funders and our innovative financial model is pioneering in the field of public private partnerships in development education.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer Schools will provide financial oversight and financial services to the PEAS schools network, in accordance with PEAS financial policies and standards. This includes support on internal reporting requirements and ensuring school financial reporting requirements are met and overseeing/ coordinating the work of the Finance - teams in PEAS schools( School Director & Bursars) as necessary. The Finance Officer-schools will also play a role in supporting the capacity development of school leaders for the day to day management of school finance operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure the effective coordination and task management of PEAS’ schools finance team to ensure finance targets are met, including timely consolidation and submission of mandatory returns i.e. NSSF returns, compilation of Tax returns, and planning and management of school internal audit processes.
· Work closely with the Finance Manager Schools, provide support to school leaders with change management initiatives as appropriate, in implementing the agreed operating model and any related schools finance management requirements.
· The incumbent will ensure the appropriate integration, implementation and compliance with PEAS financial policies & procedures, and relevant codes of good practice, in the network schools.
· Mitigate against risks that involve finance, taxes or budgets that will, impact school sustainability, escalating high/complex risks as appropriate.
Financial Management and Reporting:
· Coordinate and lead the preparation of annual and forecast budgets for PEAS schools, in collaboration with relevant school leaders and finance staff.
· The jobholder will facilitate internal audits and the implementation of audit recommendations across TCAS’ schools Network
· Provide on -going technical support to the finance teams and school leaders, including support with month end finance and reporting processes
· Ensure schools comply with monthly filing of mandatory financial returns to NSSF, PAYE
· Regularly monitor the day-to-day finance transactions for PEAS schools, ensuring the maintenance of appropriate accounting records and documentation.
· Provide technical support in the administration of all school subsidies and transfers
· Ensure PEAS regional team provides appropriate support to school & regional budget holders for the effective on-going management of their budgets.
· Monitor cash holdings in PEAS schools, ensuring adequate resources are available to support quality education programme implementation.
· Ensure salary and benefits paid to PEAS schools staff are correct and in accordance with PEAS’ HR and policies.
· Support the schools leaders with the development of their individual budgets, direct school budgetary process in procurement and supply management.
Policy and Systems Development:
· Support the periodical review, and update as necessary PEAS' schools finance policies, systems and procedures and ensure these meet agreed standards
· Actively contribute to and represent PEAS schools finance teams in management team discussions regarding consolidated reporting and planning for changes to PEAS’ financial systems.
· Participate in the recruitment and induction of new members to the PEAS schools finance team.
· Provide leadership, management and support to PEAS schools finance team members, which includes providing regular supervision, identifying learning and development opportunities, performance management and conducting annual performance reviews.
· Undertake any other tasks delegated by PEAS Finance Manager- Schools, which are in line with the scope of the role.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting
· A minimum of three years of general accounting and financial management experience
· Broad knowledge and understanding of accounting and financial standards
· Computer literacy i.e. familiarity with and experience of using computerized accounting packages e.g. Quick books and Microsoft Office applications especially Microsoft Excel
· Previous experience in the training and mentoring of finance staff
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
· Proven ability to coach and mentor others
· Good report writing skills
· Strong numeracy skills
· Ability to work under pressure/ to deadline
· Good team player
How to Apply:
All candidates must send their applications (paying particular attention to the person specification) and curriculum vita to:
The Human Resource Manager,
Plot 2881, Block 216, Ntinda Kisaasi,
Mumbejja Road opposite Ndere Centre.
P. O. Box 23308, Kampala, Uganda.
OR Send your Application and CV only to: email: info-peasuganda@peas. org.uk
NB: Please include all portions of your application in one attached document as a PDF document, and use PEAS Finance Officer Schools as the subject of your email.
Deadline: 8th September 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline