Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About USAID GHG Program:
Mercy Corps implements a 5-year USAID/Food for Peace-funded program working in the northern half of Karamoja. The program, called Growth, Health and Governance (GHG), aims to support the immediate needs of program beneficiaries while promoting long-term development by spurring systemic improvements in key economic sectors of northern Karamoja.
About WFP Program:
Mercy Corps also implements a 7 month World Food Program funded Safety Net and Resilience Program. Both programs strive to help the most vulnerable people of Karamoja improve their health, nutrition, income levels and overall wellbeing. The Agri- Business Development Officers will participate in the daily implementation of the development programming through business growth/ development support to key local agro input and food commodity business partners but will target retailers, and a host of other actors. It is an opportunity for result oriented and self-motivated individual looking for a serious challenge.
Job Summary: The Agri-Business Development Officer is responsible for assisting in the implementation and support of facilitation projects targeting local agro input & commodity trade partners that make beneficial products and services accessible to households within the geographic focus of the program. These activities will work almost exclusively through private sector actors, seeking to crowd in provision rather than displace or replicate private actors with donor-funded services. Facilitation projects will include, but are not limited to, developing agent input and aggregator networks, increasing local partners' access to market information, post-harvest handling and storage equipment, tillage services, improving access to beneficiaries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- With support from the Project Manager, periodically conduct detailed analysis of the capacity, and key opportunities/ constraints for each agro input & commodity trade partner;
- Support the agro input & commodity trade partners to estimate current local market demand, forecast market potential and draw targets to be achieved during the season;
- Carry out business management capacity analysis of both existing and prospective agro input & commodity trade, recommend and, or design appropriate/ tailored capacity building plan to address gaps, if any;
- Support the local agro-input & commodity trade partners in preparing their business plans, and support them in rolling out such plans
- With support from the Project Manager, carry out focused agro input & commodity market assessments, value chain analyses, and the development of sector-focused strategies;
- Recommend sector priorities and explore, evaluate and present new opportunities that with high potential for impact;
- Mentor, train and facilitate business trainings/ business advisory services to local agro input & commodity trade partners;
- Ensure an integrated approach to program implementation in order to maximize resource utilization and synergy between the staff and different MC programs, if any;
- Identify, assess and develop partnership strategies for potential private sector partners. Foster ongoing positive cooperation with these stakeholders;;
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with sub-county and district leaders and production and marketing departments, soliciting their participation in all activities where appropriate;
- Make on-site field visits regularly to provide technical review and/or design suggestions;
- Work closely with team leader(s) and Mercy Corps technical staff in order to develop potential projects, implement and closely monitor selected economic development projects including detailed work plans and business plans.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Create a dynamic program environment that promotes inquiry;
- Take primary responsibility for agro input & commodity trade related data gathering;
- Establish procedures and guidelines to monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of local agribusiness development support work including setting and measuring benchmarks along results chains;
- Analyze project implementation strategies to identify constraints to program success and provide timely recommendations;
- The incumbent will provide data in support of team submission of timely weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports that will be indicative of program progress during implementation.
- Where needed support external evaluations by research partner Feinstein International Centre and other organizations;
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and Communication team to ensure accurate and timely flow of information from the field for entry in the database and for preparation of PR materials.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Agribusiness Development Officer job opportunity should hold a University degree in business administration, economics or a related field
- A minimum of three years of professional experience.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people
- Ability to evaluate businesses and business plans
- Skills in networking, team-working, and community consultations
- Excellent reporting, communication and representation skills
- Good spoken and written English. Fluency in Ng’akarimojong.
- Willingness to work on the field
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 11th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline