Job Title: Extension Worker (12 Career Positions)
Organisation: Send a Cow (SAC) UK
Project Name: The Oil Seeds Project
Duty Station: Iganga, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager
Send a Cow (SAC) was founded in the UK in 1988 to help transform lives, by helping African families and orphans to grow enough food to eat, sell their produce and develop small businesses that last. They have provided livestock, seeds, training and ongoing support, to help over a million lives and their families that live in abject poverty. The Send a Cow Group currently constitutes Country Programmes in seven African countries plus the UK and USA, together with a Group Executive which is based in the UK.
Job Summary: The Extension Worker will ensure the successful delivery of the Agriculture – Oil Seeds Project, build working relationships with Farmer Groups, Disability People’s Organisations (DPOs) in liaison with Project Partners and District Authorities, and provide oversight and information to enable management of budgets, plans and donor contracts. The Agriculture Extension Worker should have a good overview of the breadth of the Send a Cow Programme, but will have a prime responsibility for the Sustainable Agriculture aspects of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will mobilise and train farmer groups in financial literacy, sustainable agriculture, credit, and other aspects of the project.
- Implement programme interventions as determined by the Project Coordinator in line with the Project Plan, and monitor progress and impact in the project. Compile and submit project and programme financial and narrative reports in a timely manner. Ensure that all stakeholders meet and review progress at regular intervals to ensure project and donor budgets, work-plans and outcomes are on target.
- Assist the Project Coordinator as required to ensure the project is delivered on time and within the budget parameters.
- Provide information as required to ensure effective management of donor contract against plan, budget and logframe, timely delivery of reports.
- Manage projects funds requests and accountability for the area of operation in accordance with project standards and budgets.
- Ensure the timely update of shared databases
- Work directly with Farmer Groups so they are fully engaged in the development of plans, monitoring and reporting.
- Regularly monitor and assess the growth of the groups in line with SAC group development guidelines
- Contribute to grant proposals as required
- Ensure good networking and collaboration relationships with government and other development partners in the project area.
- Perform any other duties assigned by Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a relevant Diploma or Bachelor’s level qualification
- Prior field development experience involving application of sustainable agriculture methodologies is desirable
- Working knowledge in extension services delivery
- Previous experience of monitoring and managing budgets and work plans
- Broad knowledge of environmental good practice
- Working knowledge of microfinance and/or VSLA methodology.
- Previous experience of community work with people with disabilities
- Prior experience in NGO work is desired
- Previous community development experience is an added advantage
- Prior exposure and experience in research and development is also desired
- Ability to encourage and enable the rural poor, working within their communities
- Ability to deliver training programmes
- High numerical skills
- Good communication skills
- Good report writing skills
- Basic Excel and Database skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good networking skills.
- Able to work well with government and DPOs and other development partners
- Ability to build high quality group dynamics
- Ability to manage conflict and deal positively with setbacks
- An initiator and self driven
- A team builder and developer
- Keen eye for detail
- Good team player.
- High degree of flexibility
- Understands the importance of confidentiality
- Applicants should also have empathy with Send a Cow’s Christian foundation and core values
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to submit the following documents as they apply:
- Complete SAC Application Form, download here
- Submit ‘three key achievements’ according to instructions, download here
Send the completed documents to: email@example.com
Deadline: 19th August, 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline