Job Title: Market Support Officer
Project: Resiliency through Wealth, Agriculture, and Nutrition in Karamoja (RWANU)
Funding Source: USAID
Reports to: Business Services Specialist
Duty Station: Uganda
About USAID RWANU Project:
ACDI/VOCA is an international NGO that is currently implementing the USAID-funded PL 480 Title II Development Food Assistance Program entitled “Resiliency through Wealth, Agriculture, and Nutrition in Karamoja (RWANU).” The RWANU Program aims to reduce food insecurity among vulnerable rural populations in selected sub-counties of Amudat, Moroto, Napak and Nakapiripirit. The Program’s strategic objectives are (1) improved availability and access to food and (2) reduced malnutrition in pregnant and lactating mothers and children under five. The RWANU Program takes a preventive approach to reducing malnutrition, focusing on the first 1,000 days of life when conditional food rations will have the highest impact. RWANU promotes diversified livelihoods strategies including linkages to market opportunities to ensure long-term food security and resilience to food insecurity shocks.
Job Summary: The Market Support Officer will support the input and output market development for selected value chains; this includes business planning and analysis on market constraints and opportunities for private sector actors leveraged by the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of the promotion of crop and livestock agricultural marketing activities of the project among beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Keenly analyze markets for grains, horticulture products, and livestock.
- Support producer groups to analyze options and opportunities to make informed decisions about marketing of their produce and acquisition of inputs.
- Support a regional market price information network which will be developed for the input supply and output market
- Identify training needs and provide mentorship to program supported entrepreneurs in areas of financial management, marketing and operations management to ensure profitability of these enterprises.
- Facilitate veterinary input supply sector development through private sector actors in South Karamoja.
· Actively facilitate Business plan development for producer groups
- Prepare and submit activity reports on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the USAID RWANU Project Market Support Officer career placement should hold a University degree in Agribusiness, Business courses majoring in Marketing, CIM or any other related discipline from recognized institutions.
- At least five years working experience in private sector agribusiness or supporting market development for small holder farmers in rural poor communities of Africa.
- Previous experience providing mentorship to entrepreneurs with limited levels of education.
- Previous exposure and experience in marketing of horticulture, livestock, grains and agro-inputs.
- Previous experience in proving support in financial management / analysis for profit making enterprises
- Practitioner in small Business Development Services, small business financing, market analysis and market research for growth oriented enterprises.
- Practitioner in community economic development, community empowerment, working with community based organizations/enterprises in rural areas.
- Excellent reporting and communication skills are required,
- Ability to conduct value chain analysis for various interventions
- Market facilitation skills highly desirable for this job
- Ability to travel long hours in the field (rural areas) in hard to reach areas of South Karamoja
- Computer literacy skills with practical knowledge of MS Office
- English language is a must. Knowledge of local languages (Nga’karamojong and Pokot) is essential but not mandatory, Swahili would be helpful.
- Willingness to live and work in Moroto
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who desire to work in the USAID RWANU Project should send their applications (only by e-mail) addressed to the Human Resources Manager attaching their application letters and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Women are encouraged to apply as ACDI/ VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline: 22nd July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline