Job Title: Programme Specialist (Health)
Organization: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Moroto, Uganda
Job Grade: NO-C
Reports to: Chief Zone Office
Vacancy Number: 497957
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the UN general assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Job Summary: The Programme Specialist (Health) will support the UNICEF office through planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of activities related to achieving results for children in the selected group of districts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertakes ongoing visits to UNICEF project sites, assesses local conditions and resources, and monitors UNICEF inputs. Communicates with local counterpart authorities on project feasibility and effectiveness including monitoring the flow of supply and non-supply assistance.
- The incumbent collects and analyzes data for the Situation Analysis, programme planning, management, monitoring and evaluation purposes of the assigned districts. Analyzes programme implementation reports and evaluates against established programme recommendations and plans of action relevant to the assigned districts. Prepares tables, graphs and other statistical data. Reports outcome of analysis and proposes corrective actions.
- Offers technical assistance and operational guidance to District Project Officers/Regional Managers to analyse, evaluates data to ensure achievement of the ALIVE programme objectives and/or takes corrective action when necessary to meet programme/project objectives and also the scaling up community-based, facility-based and outreach maternal and newborn health interventions in the region. Contributes to the development and implementation of detailed RWPs, and budgets for scaling up maternal and newborn health, nutrition, EPI and HIV/AIDS interventions in the Region. Undertakes follow-up action on programme implementation activities of the assigned districts, contributes to teamwork building, and prepares relevant reports. Drafts changes in programme workplans as required.
- Provides technical advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning and management of programme/projects in the group of Districts assigned.
- Actively participates in the development of the workplan, and ensures compliance with specific assigned objectives. Provides guidance and support to staff to manage and implement projects Attends technical cooperation meetings, prepares notes and undertakes follow-up action and coordination related to programme planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Prepare professional regular reports, and contributes evidence in the development of donor proposals for funding of programme interventions for ALIVE programme in region. Assists in identification and selection of technical supplies and equipment.
- Offers support in the preparation of the country programme recommendation by drafting CPSS, PSS and other relevant documentation ensuring accuracy and consistency with established rules and regulations. Maintains the computerized programme system database and submits relevant reports.
- The incumbent also evaluates and analyzes financial and supply reports to ensure appropriateness of documentation, expenditures are within allotments, data is consistent with PIDB. Reports to the Supervisor and/or Head of Office the outcome of reviews.
- Selects and compiles training and orientation materials for those involved in programme implementation, including donor and media visits.
- The Programme Specialist (Health) drafts relevant sections of reports (required for donors, management, annual reports, etc.)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations UNICEF Programme Specialist (Health) job placement should hold an advanced university degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Public Health, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
- At least five years progressively responsible professional work experience in social development, project administration, monitoring and evaluation, some at the international level.
- Core Values: Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity
- Core Competencies: Communication, Drive for Results, Working with People
- Functional Competencies: Leading and Supervising (I), Formulating Strategies and Concepts (II), Analyzing (III), Relating and Networking (II), Deciding and Initiating Action (II) and Applying Technical Expertise (III)
NB: UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. UNICEF is a smoke free environment.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations UNICEF in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to visit the link below to Apply.
Deadline: 8th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline