Organization: National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Registration Officer - Field Support
The National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) was established on the passing of the Uganda Registration of Persons Act, 2015. The Act was made to harmonise and consolidate the law on registration of persons; to provide for registration of individuals and to establish a national identification register. It provides for the mandatory registration of all Ugandan citizens within Uganda and abroad as well as aliens identification cards and for related matters.
Job Summary: The District Registration Officer will provide administrative and supervisory support to the district team to enable them carry out their work of registration.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures that work plans, procedures and processes for civil (births and deaths) and citizenship registration are efficient and cost effective.
- The jobholder will issue notices for compliance and enforcement and assesses non-tax revenue accruing from registrations, where applicable and ensures quality assurance of statutory requirements for civil (births and deaths) and citizenship registrations.
- Manages and supervises all operations of registrations at district level; supervises and assess staff performance and development in line with the Human Resource Regulations
- Ensures proper enrolment and registration of citizens and non-citizen resident in the country, for the issuance of national identification cards
- Manages the registration and biometric data capture to ensure that all requirements are met. Ensuring the proper use and maintenance of the biometric citizenship registration system
- Ensures security of at the data in transit, data capturing equipment and related materials, authenticates and authorizes the appropriate data for production of identity cards
- Supervises citizenship registration officers and Assistant Registration Officers in implementing registration programmes
- Manages the issuance of enrollment forms, registration, electronic data capture, the registration data bank / citizen and noncitizen register; and processes quality assurance
- Implements the civil registrations regulations and ensures compliance with the legal requirements by all applicants for birth and death certificates
- The incumbent registers births and deaths, prepare correspondences, search reports and verification of registration documents / certificates
- Ensures the appropriateness of assessments and collection of non-tax revenue accruing from civil registrations
- Coordinates with relevant stakeholders, government institutions, private entities authorized to register births and deaths
- Carries out public awareness campaigns and information dissemination on the legal requirement, obligation and benefits of registration
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time by Registration Officer, Field support
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) District Registration Officer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in IT, Law or Social Sciences or other related discipline with bias in computer literacy from a recognised institution.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a reputable public or private organisation.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment to drive results.
- Knowledge of relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Flexibility to react effectively to unforeseen circumstances
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
- Ability to lead and motivate co-workers
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- IT literacy
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 3rd August, 2016
NB: If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline