Job Title: Senior Accountant
Organization: National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager Finance
The National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) was established on the passing of the Uganda Registration of Persons Act, 2015. The Act was made to harmonise and consolidate the law on registration of persons; to provide for registration of individuals and to establish a national identification register. It provides for the mandatory registration of all Ugandan citizens within Uganda and abroad as well as aliens identification cards and for related matters.
Job Summary: The Senior Accountant will support the Manager Accounts in writing the books of accounts to enable necessary accountabilities to be made.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Writes the books of accounts as instructed by the Manager, Accounts
- Prepares timely periodic financial statements
- Ensures accurate and timely bank reconciliations
- Prepares timely management accounts and accountability reports
- Coordinates the cash flow in line with work plans and advises the Manager Accounts of any cash flow shortages
- The incumbent will be in charge of vote control maintenance – receipting and reviewing accountabilities
- Follows-up on debtors and brings to the attention of the Manager Finance any outstanding debts of more than 90 days
- Approves payment vouchers and ensures budget expenditure votes are not over spent
- Maintains and updates the fixed assets and investment registers.
- In charge of analyzing and reviewing general ledger transactions and ensuring timely and accurate reporting
- In charge of maintaining subsidiary, control and general ledger accounts
- Ensures the daily positing in accounting system and review all postings.
- Ensures travel and other advances are fully accounted for in a timely manner
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the Manager Accounts
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) Senior Accountant job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in Commerce, Accounting or Business Administration from a recognised institution
- Membership of ICPAU is a must.
- Knowledge of Finance or Accounting packages.
- At least five years’ working experience as an accountant with a reputable Public or Private organization, two (2) of which should have been at supervisory level.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment to drive results.
- Knowledge of relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- High degree of flexibility to react effectively to unforeseen circumstances
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Ability to lead and motivate co-workers
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- IT literacy
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 3rd August, 2016
NB: If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline