Job Title: Risk Manager
Organization: EFC Uganda Limited (MDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Management Risk Committee / Managing Director (MD)
EFC Uganda Limited (MDI) is a leading deposit taking Microfinance Company supervised by the Bank of Uganda and it provides financial services to micro and small size enterprises (MSEs). Its major purpose is to provide increased access to specialized financial services for entrepreneurs while contributing to wealth creation, improvement of living conditions and development of the Ugandan private sector.
Job Summary: The Risk Manager’s primary objective is to be distinctly responsible for EFC’s risk management function and comprehensive risk management program (i.e. EFC Integrated Risk Management Program Framework No. 13100) across the entire organization. The Risk will be accountable for the identification, measurement, monitoring and control of the risks undertaken by EFC and to participate in developing, advising, implementing and updating risk policies, processes, controls and tools. The Risk Manager’s independence is an essential component in the effectiveness of EFC’s risk management framework and as such the incumbent shall have access to all business lines within the institution that have the potential to generate material risk in order to enable an in-depth understanding of the underlying risks. The Risk Manager is primarily responsible to provide leadership, coordination and oversight and to plan, control and direct the effective risk functions within EFC including but not limited to internal operational controls, maintaining and exceeding established deadlines and quality standards, providing departmental budget management oversight and defining effective policies and procedures that assure efficient and productive operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will identify key risks inherent in EFC’s major business activities;
- Assess the identified risks and measure EFC’s exposures to them;
- Keenly monitor the risk exposures and determine the corresponding capital needs (capital planning) on an ongoing basis;
- Report to the Board’s Asset & Liability / Risk Committee (ALRC) and the Management Risk Committee (MRC) as appropriate on all above items;
- Monitor and assess decisions to accept particular risks, risk mitigation measures and whether risk decisions are in line with the Board approved risk strategies, policies as well as risk tolerance / appetite levels;
- Support the Board’s Asset & Liability / Risk Committee (ALRC) and the Management Risk Committee (MRC) with oversight, implementation and operational management of the EFC Risk Management Policies and Framework;
- Coordinate the activities of the MRC, consolidate risk reports from Heads of Business Units, report to the MRC during quarterly meetings, take minutes for the Committee’s meetings and compile the Committee’s quarterly report to the ALRC;
- The incumbent will have direct access and report to the Board’s ALRC on all matters relating to EFC’s risk management program;
- Provide effective and efficient day-to-day leadership and management to the Risk Management Department;
- Mobilize department personnel according to the objectives of EFC with an enabling skills development and capacity building approach.
- Establish and maintain expert working knowledge of the EFC Risk Management Policies and Framework together with the Central Bank and other applicable regulatory body circulars, regulations and guidelines;
- Manage and ensure appropriate risk assessments are completed for new products and services in accordance with EFC’s Product Development Policy (No. 13016);
- Keenly monitor and report new developments relative to risk management and all applicable regulatory body regulation to:
- Keep EFC Senior Management apprised of such developments
- Assess the effect they may have on the company,
- Provide suggestions on risk management with new / revised regulations and the drafting of EFC risk management policies and procedures;
- Collaborate with internal and external auditors relating to risk management;
- Oversee and ensure appropriate follow-up and correction of deficiencies noted in the Internal Audit Reports (minor, moderate and major), External Audit Reports and Central Bank Examination Reports;
- Offer timely support and coaching as deemed appropriate to those Heads of Business Units and employees responsible for specific risk management requirements;
- Perform any other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the MRC.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Risk Manager career opportunity should preferably hold a Master’s Degree in Finance related studies (i.e. risk management, finance or economics, management or business studies etc.) but a Bachelors may be considered combined with relevant experience;
- A minimum of three years of relevant middle management experience in a financial institution;
- Broad risk management knowledge and experience with specific microfinance / banking technical knowledge of operations, IT, liquidity, market, credit, reputation, strategic and compliance risk;
- The Risk Manager should have extensive practical knowledge of microfinance / banking best practices in risk management, corporate governance and Central Bank / other applicable regulatory body regulations and laws together with the foresight to see how the intricate day-to-day risk management activities link with and support the achievement of the vision and mission of the EFC.
- Independent and objective;
- Good leadership and management skills;
- Possess good writing, documentation, meeting facilitation and presentation skills;
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy with strong numerical skills and the ability to evaluate costs;
- Proven ability to relate effectively across different levels of authority;
- Excellent analytical, written / verbal communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills;
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, database, etc.).
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send a letter of interest explaining their motivation for the position applied for together with their Curriculum Vitae, three professional references and copies of academic certificates/diplomas. The complete applications must be sent via E-mail only to: HR_OFFICER@efcug.com.
NB: The job title should be included in the subject of each application.
Deadline: 8th July 2016 by 02:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline