Organisation: AMREF Health Africa
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Program Manager, RNMCH
AMREF Health Africa is an international African organization founded in Kenya in 1957. Our Headquarters are in Nairobi with major programmes in Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda, and two regional nubs in Southern and Western Africa based in South Africa and Senegal Respectively. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa aims to close the gap that prevents people from accessing their basic right to health. Amref Health Africa is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities. Our Vision is Lasting Health Change in Africa.
Job Summary: The Project Manager, Health Systems Advocacy for Africa will be responsible for the overall administrative and technical implementation of the project. The Project Manager will provide managerial and technical leadership in the implementation of the project to ensure it achieves clear and tangible advocacy outcomes and results that can easily be attributed to the project interventions in line with the project overall objectives. The Project Manager will develop and execute key strategies to strengthen advocacy initiative to promote technical visibility of the project and contribute to influencing, improvement and development of respective national and district level government policy as well as advocate for improvement of HRH and commodities for SRH. The incumbent will also be responsible for supporting the development, coordination and implementation of Amref Health Africa in Uganda Country advocacy strategy in line with the Global advocacy strategy and the new business plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and manage the advocacy function of the Organization, including building capacity in, implementing and evaluating advocacy and policy actions in Uganda and Globally in regard to Health Care and specifically in the area of human resource for health and commodities for sexual & reproductive health and rights.
- The incumbent will actively engage with duty bearers and claim holders on policy change, resource mobilization and allocation, budget tracking and accountability of funds in regard to HRH and Commodities for Sexual and Reproductive Health issues.
- Work in liaison with the Program Manager to develop and maintain partnerships, collaborations and networks in relation to SRHR advocacy
- Take lead in the preparation of work plans, budgets, M&E plans and performance frameworks for the project.
- In charge of the preparation of monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports relating to the project as per donor requirements as well as for internal purposes.
- Lead and guide the designing and implementation of media strategy for the project
- Keenly track and regularly present advocacy and research areas regarding health care in Uganda but specifically Human Resource and Health Supplies.
- Lead in research and draft briefings, policies and model legislation on issues that impact the HRH and SRH, documentation and share results for advocacy in order to influence relevant policies and practices.
- Provide advocacy capacity building, mentorship and support to relevant Amref Health Africa in Uganda management and staff, and to its stakeholders
- Represent the Organization at International, National and sub-national fora as assigned
- Prepare and timely disseminate presentation on policies that are relevantto SRHR advocacy with major focus on HRH and Commodities for SRHR
- Offer timely support to officers and project staff to document, report and share project best practices in policy and practice influencing.
- Serve as the primary custodian and contact person for government health policies, briefs, extracts, amendments that are generally relevant to Amref Health Africa’s work in Uganda
- Establish and maintain a result based system for monitoring and evaluating advocacy work for Uganda Country programme with major focus on HRH and Commodities for SRH
- Work closely with the Deputy Country Director and Programme managers at Country office to support the business development function for Amref Health Africa in Uganda
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Amref Project Manager, Health Systems Advocacy for Africa should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Health related field or Social Sciences with a Masters’ degree in Public Health, Health Systems Research and Management, Development Studies
- Possession of a post-graduate qualification and training in health advocacy, information science, health advocacy monitoring and evaluation, Media management, project planning and management is added advantage.
- At least five years of professional work experience at the national and international levels with progressively increasing responsibilities in health advocacy with bias in SRHR. (Essential)
- Previous work experience in developing proposals for large institutional donors and funding bodies (Essential)
- Excellent track record of success in implementing successfully health advocacy projects (Essential)
- Previous exposure and experience in communication and relevant scientific journals publications preferably on Maternal and Child health or SRH
- Experience in health policy analysis, development, review and implementation
- Working knowledge and experience of the operations of ministry of health in Uganda
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including well developed proposal and report writing skills (Essential)
- Proficient analytical and research skills (Essential)
- Highly developed and effective negotiation and partnerships management skills (Desired)
- Demonstrated initiative & creativity
- Experience and familiarity with donor requirements
- Good project management skills
- Good computer skills
- Ability to document and package salient project issues for side sharing
- Ability to establish linkages and network with relevant stakeholders
- Good reporting and social media skills
- Strong team orientation
- Willingness to travel frequently out of the workstation.
- Willing to support other related project advocacy initiatives.
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to send an updated CV including three professional referees and cover letter addressed to the Human Resources Manager, Amref Health Africa in Uganda via E-mail to: email@example.com. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 15th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline