Job Title: Principal Standards Officer
Organisation: East African Community
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Reports to: Director, Trade
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Job Summary: The Principal Standards Officer will provide technical and advisory services related to Standardization, Quality Assurance, Metrology and Testing (SQMT)
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of the supervision of staff and planning of activities of the Standards, Quality, Metrology and Testing Department
- Develop indicators that allow an impact-oriented monitoring;
- Strengthen the coordination mechanism for SQMT activities at the EAC Secretariat and contribute to an increased awareness about SQMT issues;
- Actively promote the implementation of the EAC SQMT Act, 2006, the Strategic Plan and the EAC SQMT regional projects and monitor progress;
- Organise meetings of the East African Standards Committee and the Sub-Committees on Standardisation, Quality Assurance, Metrology and Testing, and East African Accreditation Board;
- Actively contribute to the Development of annual work plans for the Technical Sub-Committees, approved by East African Standards committee ;
- Facilitate publishing of the EAC Standards and establishment of an EAC Standards Catalogue;
- Maintain and update the EAC Standards Catalogue;
- Maintain a harmonious relationship with the heads and technical officers in the National Bureaus of Standards (NSBs) and National Accreditation Bodies/Focal Points;
- Work closely with stakeholders concerning awareness / networking on SQMT activities and together continuously conduct searches to ensure that all agreed standards are up to date;
- Coordinate Peer Assessment of National Standards Institutions;
- Act as a focal point with regional and international SQMT organisations like SADC, SQAM, ARSO, ISO;
- Offer support in the mobilization of funding of SQMT activities at the Community;
- Develop and disseminate information materials to stakeholders and target groups;
- Implement Council decisions and prepare progress and annual reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the East African Community Principal Standards Officer career opportunity must hold a Master’s degree in Science or equivalent degree from a recognised University/Institution. MBA or Postgraduate Qualification in Management will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of ten years of relevant experience within an EAC Partner State Quality Institutions or a relevant organisation related with SQMT field, five (5) years of which at a Senior level.
- Skills and Competencies: Strong technical and analytical capabilities and skills for developing mechanisms for data collection; Excellent drafting and report writing skills; Excellent organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising quality and team spirit building skills; Excellent Computer skills; strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work independently in a diverse environment.
- Age: Below 55 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three (3) referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate or Passport showing the date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and the envelope. For electronic submissions, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and forward to the address given below.
- Please submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional certificates; or fail to provide three referees shall be disqualified.
All invitations for interviews shall be done in writing to:
Executive Selection Division,
Deloitte Consulting Limited,
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: Monday, 15th August 2016, 17:00Hrs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline