Organisation: East African Community
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Reports to: Director, Customs
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Job Summary: The Principal Customs Officer (Procedures & Facilitation will co-ordinate the development and implementation of harmonised and simplified Customs Systems and Procedures, monitor quality assurance in customs service delivery and guide interfacing of customs automation and exchange of information.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of the supervision of staff, planning of activities and development of budgets for the Procedures and Facilitation Department.
- Coordinate, guide and monitor the development and implementation of regional policies, strategies, programmes and work plans on harmonisation of Customs procedures including the Single Customs territory;
- Manage the harmonization and simplifications of customs procedures, processes and documentation in line with WCO and WTO Agreements and recommendations to facilitate speedy clearance of goods in Customs;
- Keenly monitor progress of the Customs Union process and identify implementation gaps and design appropriate solutions;
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the WTO Trade facilitation Agreement at the regional level.
- Formulate proposals for studies and carry out research in areas of strategic importance that translate into enhancement of Customs procedures and trade facilitation in EAC;
- Regularly monitor and update Partner States on international trends related to Customs procedures and trade facilitation;
- Develop guidelines and work plans on customs integrity and model code of conduct for Customs administrations;
- Work closely with the Principal Trade Officer (Internal Trade) in developing management instruments for identification and elimination of customs related NTBs
- Develop standards and monitoring and evaluation tools for quality assurance of systems in Customs;
- Coordinate, develop and implement corroborative mechanisms with other public and private sector organisations to enhance implementation of regional customs programmes.
- Facilitate Policy organs and technical meeting;
- Implement Council decisions relevant to the Sector;
- Prepare and submit progress and annual reports;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the East African Community Principal Customs Officer (Procedures & Facilitation) job vacancy must hold a Master’s degree in the field of Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Law or an equivalent degree from a recognised University/Institutions. Specialized training in Customs is a must.
- A minimum of ten years’ relevant experience in Customs, five (5) of which should be at Senior level.
- Skills and Competencies: Proficiency in computer applications with hands-on skills in a Customs Computer system; Management skills, planning skills, negotiations skills, networking skills, research skills, supervisory skills, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Age: Below 55 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three (3) referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate or Passport showing the date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and the envelope. For electronic submissions, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and forward to the address given below.
- Please submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional certificates; or fail to provide three referees shall be disqualified.
All invitations for interviews shall be done in writing to:
Executive Selection Division,
Deloitte Consulting Limited,
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: Monday, 15th August 2016, 17:00Hrs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline