Job Title: Operations Manager
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Senior Operations Manager
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit organization which implements high-quality, analytical development programmes in very difficult places. Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006. It has and continues to implement programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub regions. Mercy Corps is taking a community-led, market driven approach to address poverty and food insecurity needs through interventions that get to the root causes and contributing factors of economic vulnerability. Donors include the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the European Commission (EC), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC).
Job Summary: The Operations Manager will be primarily responsible for overseeing and ensuring the operations and functions of the Field Office to ensure programs run smoothly. The Operations Manager will provide supervision and training functions in the Field Office for staff in all aspects of Logistics including Fleet, Asset, Security, Procurement and HR & Administration. The Operations Manager is responsible for compound/equipment maintenance as well as general day to day management of the office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the program with a logistics and procurement plan given the context of both countries and cross-border needs.
- Read the program proposal and help with pricing and tender preparation.
- Actively contribute to the country strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Regularly interface with stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
- Communicate with local partners in a manner consistent to the program team in terms of paperwork and documentation of goods.
- Build, maintain and strengthen productive relationships with all stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
Operations Management - Team Management:
- Develop the capacity of the team and assist with continued development of a career path for operations staff.
- Facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurements.
- Work in liaison with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
- Support teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations.
Operations Management – Assets:
- Reads and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual and all procedures;
- Ensures that procedures outlined in the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual will be implemented in Field Office.
- Ensure all new Mercy Corps assets in the field office are in the asset register and ensure the appropriate coding and tags are placed on each item.
- Ensures the electronic database is updated monthly and provide an electronic copy to supervisor; A hard copy is printed, signed and filed in the assets folder;
- Guides colleagues on guidelines of Mercy Corps asset and equipment use guidelines.
Operations Management – Procurement:
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to staff on these policies;
- Enforce proper use of procurement ceilings and approval procedures.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Support Program and Operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Manage the gathering of quotations and bids from the market for PRs as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Regularly interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program.
Operations Management – Security:
- Serve as security focal point for the field office, update and implement security policies appropriate for the local context
- Ensure all national and international staff are well-informed of security policies and procedures, including emergency strategies and evacuation plans
- Mentor and train the hired security staff on Mercy Corps Security Standard Operating Procedures
- Prepare and submit regular security reports to Supervisor on occurring incidents and any security issues/concerns
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a BA/S in Logistics, Administration, Procurement Management, or any relevant business field.
- A minimum of five to seven years’ experience in Logistics and Administration management required.
- Previous experience working in conflict environments.
- A minimum of four years’ experience working in international relief and development in logistics and administration, staff supervision and development, training, team building, finance & administration, donor relations, and inter/intra – agency communications. This includes experience living and working overseas and working in remote conditions.
- Previous experience managing the development, implementation, administration, and compliance of US Government, ECHO/EC, UN, private foundation, and corporate grants, and related projects.
- Significant experience in managing the logistics components of a food distribution program
- Excellent computer and communication skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road. The E-mail applications with cover letter should be sent to: email@example.com
Deadline: 21st July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline