Job Title: Midwife
Organisation: Mifumi Health Services
Funding Source: Comic Relief
Duty Station: Uganda
The MIFUMI Project is an international aid agency founded in 1989. Their mission is to reduce the burden of poverty by securing basic rights for people living in remote communities in Uganda (The MIFUMI Project, 2013). Mifumi Health Center (MHC), the only health center in Mifumi village, was set up by The MIFUMI Project and opened in 2001. The unit provides maternity services, including antenatal, delivery and postnatal care; primary health care and laboratory services, as well as health information and community outreach services. To date, MHC has attended to over 85,000 patients, mostly residents of Mifumi village. MHC is Mifumi Health Services (MHS) an autonomous division of MIFUMI.
About Comic Relief Project:
MIFUMI recently acquired a grant from Comic Relief to help secure healthier lives for the women and children of MHC catchment area through improved access to and quality of health services at MHC.
Job Summary: The Midwife will work in close collaboration with the currently employed Midwife at Mifumi Health Center to deliver quality mother and child health services at MHS.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of monitoring and examining women during pregnancy;
- Providing full antenatal care, including screening tests in the hospital, community and the home;
- Responsible for developing, assessing and evaluating individual programmes of care;
- In charge of identifying high risk pregnancies and making referrals to doctors and other medical specialists;
- Responsible for arranging and providing parenting and health education;
- Providing counselling and advice before and after screening and tests;
- Providing support and advice following events such as miscarriage, termination, stillbirth, neonatal abnormality and neonatal death;
- Supervising and assisting mothers in labor, monitoring the condition of the fetus and using knowledge of drugs and pain management;
- Providing support and advice on the daily care of the baby, including breastfeeding, bathing and making up feeds;
- Work closely with agencies and other health and social care professionals to ensure continuity of care;
- In charge of participating in the training and supervision of junior colleagues.
- Conducting any other maternal and child health-related tasks as shall be communicated by Management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the Midwife job vacancy must be an enrolled midwife certificate, registered with the Nurses and Midwife Council
- A minimum of three years’ work experience, practicing midwifery services preferably in rural settings and willingness to relocate to Mifumi Health Center in Mifumi village
- Soft skills: Dependable, high integrity, team spirit, self-initiative, leadership among others.
- A command of the local language ‘Adhola’ is desirable
- Conscious of human rights, especially the rights of women and children in society.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should submit their E-mail applications including a cover letter, updated CV / resume and full academic credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 15th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline