Job Title: Manager Food Security and Livelihoods
Organisation: Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Disaster Management
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading national humanitarian organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The ICRC is an International humanitarian institution which has a mandate to protect victims of international and armed conflicts i.e. the wounded, refugees, civilians, prisoners and other non-combatants.
Job Summary: The Manager Food Security and Livelihoods will provide technical capacity and coordinate the development and implementation of projects and plans in line with the Food security strategic frameworks.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide programmatic and technical oversight for food security and livelihoods projects
- Take lead in the expansion and growth of food security and livelihoods recovery programming including leading assessments and proposal writing
- Build capacities of URCS and partner organizations in identifying, assessing vulnerabilities and planning relevant mitigation mechanisms in accordance with community priorities and Food Security.
- Plan and implement the assessment, monitoring and evaluation of food security projects in line with the food security strategy.
- The incumbent will develop proposals to facilitate income generation, value addition and marketing opportunities for target families, groups and communities.
- Prepare and develop plans and budgets in line with the Food security Strategy and URCS mission.
- Develop, support and strengthen local, national, regional and International linkages with organizations and networks to address Food security issues.
- Actively monitor and document Food Rights/Trade Empowerment thematic learnings and performances and share widely through periodic reports and other mechanisms in line with department’s framework and URC communication guidelines.
- Plan, coordinate and engage in advocacy through designing strategies that will influence Food security practice and policies in favour of vulnerable, excluded and poor people.
- Develop and support use of alternative participatory models to generate evidence for pro poor policy advocacy in line with department’s strategic frameworks
- Actively promote the utilization of participatory and community based approaches in agriculture in preparedness and response phases.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Food Security, Agriculture, Agriculture Economics or any related field
- Possession of a post-graduate training in food nutrition, Agriculture, or a related discipline
- At least three years of relevant working experience in food security, project management in NGO / humanitarian fields i.e. in an unstable environment (conflict / post conflict country).
- A minimum of two years of practical experience in agriculture, small farming, food production systems, small enterprise development, and/or behavior change related to Food Security and nutrition
- Knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing.
- Knowledge of livelihoods, agrarian systems and natural resources management.
- Knowledge of international organizations, the UN System, NGOs and humanitarian donors.
- Knowledge of agriculture and food security responses in emergency situations, including understanding of core standards, principles and guidance.
- Proven negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Delivering training and capacity building of staff.
- Coordination and information management skills.
- Experience in team management.
- Written and oral presentation skills
- Ability to communicate on Food Security topics with diverse groups: farmers, managers, bureaucrats and donors.
- Good proposal writing skills.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement should send their filled application forms, download here and E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail via post to: The Secretary General, Uganda Red Cross Society, Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road, P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 1st August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline