Job Title: Learning Commons Support Technologist
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Manager Admissions & Records
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education - not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
Job Summary: The Learning Commons Support Technologist will manage the daily coordination and functioning off all computer gadgets in the Learning Commons. He/she will maintain the working order of the Unit equipment and supplies, which may include both hardware and software troubleshooting, and making appropriate recommendations regarding repair. He/she will also assess the needs for the Unit upgrades, and assist in the purchase decisions of computer hardware and software.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Update and maintain records of technological support services against their usage in the Learning Commons.
- Offer support and training to the students and faculty/staff users regarding the use of supported software applications and hardware.
- Coordinate and/ or perform software installations, diagnostics, and repairs.
- Maintain and ensure update the library web page.
- Render support in Systems administration of library software (Koha ILS, Ezproxy, Dspace).
- Embedding library resources in the eLearning platform and providing support to students and staff.
- Plan and schedule software upgrades; tests, debugs, configures and documents software as required meeting user needs.
- Write technical documentation for software and hardware use (how to upload files to the Internet, etc).
- Offer support in making decisions regarding technical and physical changes to the Learning Commons.
- Keep current regarding contemporary computer technology in order to make informed decisions regarding improvements in the Learning Commons.
- Attend monthly section meetings and general staff meetings.
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the Manager Admissions & Records.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the UCU Learning Commons Support Technologist job placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science / Information Technology or Computer Science from a recognized institution of higher learning
- A minimum of two (2) years of working experience performing similar tasks
- Previous experience in computer use in educational setting, preferably 1 year experience in a computer Lab environment situation involving computer facility management and trouble shooting, experience with Linux, Macintosh and Windows is a must.
- Significant experience and exposure to popular MS or Open Office and multimedia applications, including assessment and planning processes.
- The applicant should have worked with students in a higher education setting, in supervision or coordinating and supporting student learning.
- Willingness to work beyond regular working hours during peak periods.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Must be a mature and committed Christian.
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three (Academic, Leadership, Pastoral) references. Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts to:
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 22nd July 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline