Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Immunologist
Position Code: BSCLT716
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Laboratory Technologist will perform analyses and report results of the laboratory procedures performed in the laboratory, according to GCLP standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for receiving blood samples, processing and storing PBMC, plasma, serum and other biological samples according to SOPs and GCLP.
- Produce reliable and precise data by performing SOP-guided laboratory experiments assigned by scientists or supervisors. This includes:
- Whole blood assays for subsequent cytokine analysis;
- Staining cells for flowcytometry;
- Acquiring and analysing flow cytometry data using pre-set templates;
- ELISPOT assays; o ELISA and Luminex assays;
- Cell cultures for immunology and virology assays, including neutralizing antibody and viral inhibition assays.
- Responsible for implementing GCLP practices: Cleaning and disinfecting equipment; Tracking equipment servicing requirements; Monitoring temperatures and liquid nitrogen levels; Data backup; Running equipment performance QCs; record keeping (electronic and hard copies); Carrying out IATA compliant shipment of samples to and from partner laboratories.
- Ensuring that required reagents and supplies are in sufficient stocks and are kept securely in recommended conditions; Preparing reagent and consumable orders for subsequent review and approval by supervisor.
- In charge of ensuring health and safety as per SOPs by conducting safety induction of new staff/students, refilling first Aid boxes, administering first aid, updating materials data safety sheets
- Offer support in writing and reviewing of operational and study specific SOPs
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Technology
- At least a credit in Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry
- One year of practical experience. Previous experience working within a clinical trials laboratory would be an added advantage
- Previous exposure to PBMC processing and sterile tissue culture techniques.
- Ability to use Ms Excel and Access or any flow cytometry analysis software is an added advantage.
- The applicant must be willing to undertake additional training as required by the position, including new research techniques, GCLP, health and safety and regulatory compliance.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: email@example.com. Please quote the position code in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Note that academic qualifications will be subjected to verification by the issuing institutions
Deadline: 15th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline