Job Title: IELTS Examiner
Organisation: British Council
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head Finance and Resources
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. We create international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and build trust between them worldwide. British Council Uganda is based in Kampala and offers a full range of programmes including examinations, project management on behalf of other donors, and its own grant funded projects. British Council has operated in Uganda since 1952 and its aim is to build cultural and educational relations between Uganda and the UK.
Job Summary: The IELTS Examiner will conduct speaking interviews as per IELTS standards and marking of writing scripts. The jobholder will be responsible for script marking to be as per agreed standards. The incumbent will be in charge of examining may involve travel across the region where the British Council will be responsible for your travel and accommodation arrangements whilst examining. The examiners are required to maintain certification in Speaking and Writing modules for the duration of the contract.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The post holder will be responsible for conducting / marking IELTS oral and written exams. Examining responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining all security, Board, Professional Support Network and British Council procedures and policies
- Carry out IELTS interviews as per agreed schedules
- Attending Examiner meetings and other relevant meetings as required.
- Maintaining the reputation and integrity of IELTS and the British Council at all times.
- Ensuring that all duties are delivered in line with the British Council’s policy including but not limited to on Equality Diversity and Inclusion, Child Protection, Information Management.
- Maintain the confidentiality and security of the IELTS exam and adhere to the code of practice of IELTS Examiners.
- Managing information created and received in compliance with the British Council’s information management standards, policies, the UK data protection principles and local legislation
- In charge of participating in required British Council training and apply relevant principles in carrying out duties; this includes Child Protection, and Health and Safety.
- Perform any other duties as relevant for British Council English language and assessment services
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the British Council IELTS Examiner should possess an undergraduate or Master’s degree or a qualification which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to an undergraduate or Master’s degree preferably in education.
- A recognised qualification in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or recognised equivalent as part of a recognised university award course.
- A minimum of three years’ full time (or the equivalent part time) relevant TESOL teaching experience (minimum one year post-certificate level qualification). The majority of this teaching experience must relate to adult students (16 years and over).
- Communicating and influencing (level 2):
- Relates communications to circumstances
- Displays good listening, writing and speaking skills, setting out logical arguments clearly and adapting language and form of communication to meet the needs of different people/audiences.
- Planning and organising (level 2):
- Plans ahead
- Organises own work over weeks and months, or plans ahead for others, taking account of priorities and the impact on other people.
- Using Technology (level 1):
- Operates as a basic user of information systems, digital and office technology
- Able to use office software and British Council systems to do the job and manage documents or processes.
- Working together (more demanding)
- Establishing a genuinely common goal with others
- Being accountable (essential)
- Delivering my best work in order to meet my commitments
- Making it happen (essential)
- Delivering clear results for the British Council
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the British Council in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent, proceed with the online application.
Deadline: 5th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline