Job Title: Hygiene and Sanitation Assistant
Organisation: World Vision International
Reports to: Hygiene and Sanitation Officer/ Project Manager inclusive WASH
Duty Station: Uganda
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Hygiene and Sanitation Assistant will implement WASH interventions in cluster based WASH on WVU and/or internationally recognized standards and policies. The incumbent leads in the implementation of WASH activities in the cluster/ Refugee Settlements with the support of Project Manager, Hygiene and Sanitation Officer and Local Government extension staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct periodic community assessment on sanitation and hygiene practices and needs to identify areas for interventions and validation of the WASH annual plans for the Response Programme area assigned
- Work in close conjunction with the Project Manager identify and lead the mobilization and sensitization of target communities to participate in WASH and development activities.
- Ensure that sponsored children benefit and participate in WASH programme interventions
- Actively promote community led total Sanitation and Hygiene promotion through awareness creation and establishment and maintenance of functional Community Based Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion structures
- Support establishment and implementation of health and hygiene promotion activities in schools
- Work in close conjunction with Engineer to monitor construction and usage of existing WASH facilities through routine visits and provide guidance through follow up on the activities of community and local government structures responsible for such facilities
- Develop a community disease awareness system at community/institutional level and liaise with all Health center In-charges to monitor and report on prevalence of WASH related diseases.
- Carry out basic trainings and refresher trainings as well as extend guidance and technical support to the Community based Hygiene and sanitation Promotion structures
- Compile weekly, monthly and periodic plans and reports on general WASH project works in the project implementation area for strategic interventions
- Support in providing necessary data for the development of the annual budgets and activity plans of all the software activities and ensure they’re implemented timely and are of high quality
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The prospective World Vision Hygiene and Sanitation Assistant employee should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health Sciences, Higher Diploma in Water Engineering or any other related field attained from a recognized higher institution of learning.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in implementing health, and WASH related activities within an International NGO
- Working knowledge about CLTS, CHAST and PHAST methods
- Excellent facilitation skills, community mobilization skills and the ability to effectively communicate key issues to communities
- Ability to coordinate a range of diverse actors and activities to achieve a common objective in the area of Sanitation and Hygiene
- Broad knowledge of PRA methods and willingness to live in the rural communities in the project areas.
- Good computer skills and ability to write technical reports
- Must be fluent in applicable local Languages and English.
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Willing to attend and participate/lead in daily devotions and weekly Chapel services.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
Please follow instructions on How to Create Account and Profile at World Vision’s e-recruitment portal. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 31st July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline