Job Title: Food Security and Livelihood Coordinator
Organisation: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Action Against Hunger (ACF) is an International Humanitarian NGO which has been in existence for over thirty years. ACF has been implementing Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programs in the Lango, Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja regions of Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Food Security and Livelihood Coordinator will be responsible for the design and follow up of the Food Security and Livelihood Country Strategy. The FSL Coordinator will also, support the assessment, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of current and future ACF Food Security programmes in Uganda, as well as liaising with external stakeholders (Partners, Donors, and local authorities). The incumbent will also ensure the technical relevance of Food Security interventions according to ACF and country priorities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensure ongoing analysis of the overall humanitarian context and define ACF technical positioning:
- Ensure the regular analysis and reporting of humanitarian needs, malnutrition causal factors and linkages at country level through regular high quality field assessments, participation in coordination forums, regular consultation with stakeholders and collection of secondary data
- Actively contribute to integrated surveillance activities as applicable through input on development of tools, analysis and interpretation, etc.
- Develop strategic positioning for the department as part of the ACF annual country strategy process and as needed, in close consultation with field teams and other technical departments
- Identify new geographical areas of interest and or confirm existing areas according to humanitarian needs and the ACF strategic plan
- Serve as lead on new proposal development
- Identify, propose and develop new program orientations, strategies and activities
- Collaborate with other technical coordinators to develop an integrated technical strategy; and support integrated program definition and implementation
2. Coordinate FSL program implementation according to ACF strategy and technical protocols and effectively manage teams:
- Ensure a close and regular coordination with other technical departments (nutrition, WASH) in overall program coherence; and support departments (logistics, administration and human resources) in procurement planning and follow-up, cash forecasts and budget follow-ups, human resources planning and overall staff management
- Supervise FSL field PMs and conduct regular field visits
- Pro-actively motivate and coordinate the FSL staff and within the rest of the team
- Provide continuous technical and organizational support and capacity building to PMs and their technical teams
- The incumbent will ensure high quality technical and donor reporting across all program activities to ACF and donor standards
- Ensure harmonization and coherence of FSL approach and activities across all program bases with the development of project implementation plans and regular follow-up
- Ensure the development and implementation of proper systems to reduce the risk of corruption and conflict of interest by program staff and local authorities; and increase accountability and transparency of operations.
- Define objectives, update PM job descriptions and facilitate regular performance appraisals
- Identify training needs and work with HR department to develop and implement relevant training plans
- Ensure compliance of FSL program standards to achieve grant/funding objectives
- Work in liaison with FSL technical counterpart in HQ
- Promote an integrated approach among the WaSH, Nutrition and FSL sectors wherever feasible and justified
- Facilitate mainstreaming of DRM, gender and protection aspects
3. Ensure overall FSL program quality and accountability in link with the PQA:
- Ensure the appropriate development and implementation of high quality technical monitoring systems, indicators and supporting tools to monitor the impact and outcome of FSL programs; ensure their harmonization across bases and build capacity of field teams on their implementation and regular timely use
- Ensure internal and external evaluation of current and previous programs in the operational area in a manner that facilitates organizational learning.
- The incumbent will support learning and application of innovative approaches at field level in collaboration with other ACF technical departments and external partners
- Ensure documentation, capitalization and dissemination of lessons learnt and good practices; and contribute to the preparation of publications, where applicable
- Ensure accountability standards are mainstreamed across programs and build capacity among field staff where needed
4. Represent ACF externally in the Uganda humanitarian community
- Represent ACF externally and coordinate with government authorities, NGOs, UN agencies and donor representatives as necessary
- Ensure active presence and participation in national FSL coordination meetings, cluster and technical working groups
- Develop a strong state and county level relationship with the Ministry of Agriculture/Animal Resources/Fisheries/Forestry, and OPM
- Create links with various FSL actors working in the same operational areas and develop partnerships where relevant and appropriate
- Ensure that relevant stakeholders have a clear understanding of ACF charter, background, program objectives and activities in the field
- Contribute to develop and implement the communication plan regarding ACF activities, best practices and strategy
- Contribute to develop and implement the advocacy strategy of ACF in Uganda.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Action Against Hunger (ACF) Food Security and Livelihood Coordinator career opportunity should hold a Master’s degree in agronomy, socio-economic, rural development, anthropology, geography, international development.
- Additional qualification in tropical agriculture or related subject preferred.
- At least five years’ experience working with NGO specifically in Agriculture
- Proven management and coordination skills (HR, Logistics, Finance &projects)
- Demonstrated ability to translate analysis and evaluation into operational planning and strategy;
- Previous experience with evaluations and monitoring.
- Prior experience with external representation
- Two years relevant work experience essential.
- Previous experience with ACFIN is an advantage
- Open, creative, experienced, mature, responsible, flexible, culturally sensitive, energetic, interested.
- Coordination with other international actors (i.e: donors, UN, INGO, local authorities).
- Knowledge of donors policies and guidelines.
- Good written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of donor guidelines and procedures (proposals, reports, logical frameworks)
- Excellent computer skills (MS- office and spread sheets, analytical software are assets)
- Good representation and networking skills
- Ability to function effectively within a multicultural team and international organisation;
- Ability to establish priorities, respect deadlines, and work both collaboratively and independently
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications which should include ONLY a cover letter, CV (not more than 4 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contract. For email applications please note that attached documents should not be larger than 2MBs. All documents should be zipped in one folder. Any email larger than 2MBS will not be considered. Please send your email application to: email@example.com mentioning “FSL Coordinator” in the subject line.
Deadline: 6th July 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline