Job Title: Finance Manager
Organization: Justice and Advocacy for Women and Children Uganda (JAWCU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance Director
Justice and Advocacy for Women and Children Uganda (JAWCU) is a national non-governmental organization based in Uganda. We believe in equality in dignity, and respect for human rights. Our quest for equality is directed at marginalized groups. JAWCU's work revolves around promoting social justice and community development by advocating for protection of the vulnerable groups' rights. We believe that if the vulnerable groups like women, children, youth, the disabled, people living with HIV/AIDS and others are empowered, and made to realize their full potential, they would be an asset to economic development.
Job Summary: The Finance Manager will provide financial support to the organization such that adequate internal controls to safeguard and account for the financial and other assets are in place. The job holder is responsible for financial planning and control, maintenance of financial records and recording of financial transactions; liquidity management, financial reporting and general maintenance of related records and registers in accordance with the law and international accounting standards. The Finance Manager is also responsible for the day to day operation of the finance section.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Overall Financial Planning and Control:
- Take lead in coordinating and formulating annual budgets, preparing of periodic budgetary control reports and advising management on matters relating to compliance with approved budget estimates.
- The incumbent will also support technical staff in budget preparation in accordance with JAWCU and donors requirements and also to be responsible for implementing the financing strategy approved by senior management
2. Maintenance of financial records and accounting books:
- To ensure proper accounting of all project transactions for both JAWCU and Partners transactions and to ensure that all financial transactions are supported by appropriate documents such as LPOs, orders, invoices, time sheets, contracts, vouchers and others and that they are properly secured and filed; and to maintain basic accounting books and records that give a true and fair view of the position and performance of JAWCU including cash books, journals, subsidiary ledgers, the general ledgers, inventory records, fixed assets register, other registers and other books and records in accordance the law, donor requirements as well as JAWCU regulations.
- The incumbent will ensure the posting of all transactions using QuickBooks or such other suitable accounting software and further ensure that the computer data is secure with frequent data backups done.
3. Preparation of management and accounting reports
- Prepare periodic Financial Statements to keep management, funders and other stakeholders informed of the performance and position of JWCU and statutory annual financial reports that comply with the law and international accounting standards and to ensure that the reports are forwarded to management, donors and other recipients within the stipulated deadlines.
4. Control over cash and bank
- Ensure that there are enough funds available to execute activities by supervising the relevant transactions such as funds requests, bank reconciliation, payments and the like.
- The jobholder will prepare short and long term cash flow forecasts to guide spending and to advise management on investing any excess cash reserves.
- The incumbent will also monitor commitments to suppliers and field offices and be overall responsible for the timely disbursement of installments to them when due.
- In addition, the job holder will be responsible for approval of all disbursements, petty cash and cheque payments; to prepare bank reconciliations and to present them to the Executive Director for final approval.
5. Safeguarding the Assets and Resources:
- Install and maintain a strong system of internal controls (financial and administrative) to ensure that all and only JAWCU transactions are recorded in the accounting books; and to safeguard all its assets and resources.
- The Finance Manager will develop financial guideline and procedures for all JAWCU offices and to regularly monitor compliance as well as to visit field offices to check and to verify accounts and provide support to the offices in their capacity building.
6. Staff Supervision:
- Support and provide training to field and head office staff in finance and other related areas as appropriate for proper maintenance of their books of accounts, inventory and fixed assets records as well as accounting and financial management.
- The incumbent will supervise all staff in the finance section and to ensure that periodic staff appraisal are done on timely basis and remedial action taken.
7. Overseeing the Finance Staff:
- Keenly monitor the funds advanced to staff and ensure complete accountability as well as their effective and transparent use.
- Mentor and train accounting staff in the detailed financial guidelines and requirements in order to implement activities and execute their budgets accordingly.
8. Other general administrative Duties: These include:
- Manage payments of expenses executed by the Delegation and ensuring they fulfill JAWCU, donor and Ugandan Regulations.
- Manage all aspects of procurement and regular audit for the organization.
- Ensure the organization meets all its commitments to the donors and be the contact person for donors in all finance related matters
- The jobholder will be meeting JAWCU’s legal obligations e.g. supporting the annual audit and preparing returns for donors.
- Ensure all financial reports are checked for accuracy before they are submitted to the donors
- Ensure that all major financial (or other) commitments with other parties are covered by a legal written agreement.
- Perform any other duties as may be directed by the Executive Director from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should be a Certified Public Accountant (or equivalent) or a graduate in Accountancy or Business Administration/Commerce majoring in accountancy.
- Level III of Professional Certified Accountancy examinations i.e. CPA and / or ACCA
- The ideal candidate should have five years’ working experience in a busy accounting or audit office
- Computer literacy i.e. proficient in Excel and QuickBooks with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- This position requires a person who is mature and able to command respect, with a firm personality.
- The applicant must be results-oriented and self-driven; trust worth, capable to work extra hours to meet deadlines whenever need arises.
- The candidate should be a good communicator, a team player and computer literate.
- Age: Preferably 30 years and above.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications and updated CVs to:
Human Resource Office,
Justice and Advocacy for Women and Children Uganda,
Plot 959 Block 216 Bukenya Zone,
Buye Village, Ntinda
P.O. Box 36601, Kampala. Uganda
Hard copy documents to be delivered at the offices or send email to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 15th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline