Job Title: Executive Director (ED)
Organization: EFC Uganda Limited (MDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Managing Director (MD)
EFC Uganda Limited (MDI) is a leading deposit taking Microfinance Company supervised by the Bank of Uganda and it provides financial services to micro and small size enterprises (MSEs). Its major purpose is to provide increased access to specialized financial services for entrepreneurs while contributing to wealth creation, improvement of living conditions and development of the Ugandan private sector.
Job Summary: The Executive Director (ED) will collaborate with and support the MD to provide leadership and direction to the implementation and achievement of the EFC’s vision, mission, values and strategic goals and objectives. In exercising his/her executive powers under the “four eyes” principle, the ED is accountable for overseeing and supporting the institution’s operations to ensure efficiency, service quality, financial performance in terms of profitability and growth and cost-effective management of resources. The incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of the “four eyes” responsibility in EFC in accordance with Central Bank requirements obliges “the involvement of the ED’s approval in every major management decision of the institution which would require the sole discretion of the MD to commit the institution.” The ED is therefore primarily responsible to collaborate with and support the MD to assure effective risk management combined with the efficient, productive and profitable operations of all EFC business activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Governance – supports the operations and administration of the Board of Directors by advising and informing Board members and serving as the secondary Company interface with the Board;
- Human Resources Management – provides strong leadership and effectively manages EFC human resources according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to statutory requirements;
- Strategic Planning & Management – supports oversight of the planning, drafting and implementation of the Company’s strategic and business plans and budgets including (i) setting strategic and financial objectives, (ii) recommending annual budgets for Board approval, (iii) prudently managing all EFC resources within budget parameters and according to policies and statutory requirements, and (iv) product and service design, testing, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality;
- Risk Management – supports oversight of the development and implementation of a risk management framework (i.e. credit, liquidity, interest rates, foreign exchange, transaction, fraud, business continuity, compliance, legal, governance, reputation, and external business risks) ensuring key risk related performance indicators are effectively managed within the prescribed limits;
- Community, Public & Stakeholder Relations – ensures the EFC vision, mission and values together with its products and services are consistently presented in a strong and positive image to all relevant stakeholders and supports oversight of the funding/fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation.
- Other Duties:
- Support the design and implementation of the EFC strategic plan to advance its mission and objectives and to promote revenue, profitability, growth and a strong and clear institutional and organizational culture;
- Support the oversight of company operations to ensure efficiency, service quality, and cost-effective management of resources;
- Support the oversight of planning, development, and implementation of strategies for generating resources and/or revenues for the EFC;
- Support the recommending of policies and standards for Board approval;
- Keenly review activity reports and financial statements to determine progress and status in attaining objectives and revise objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions as required;
- Evaluate performance of Executive and Senior Management teams for compliance with established policies and objectives of the EFC and their contributions in attaining objectives;
- Actively promote the EFC through written articles and personal profiling as appropriate;
- Represent the EFC with regulators and through related sector meetings and at formal functions;
- Build funding/fundraising, stakeholder and community networks using personal contacts, direct mail, special events, and Board / Shareholder support;
- Support the drafting and presentation of EFC Quarterly and Annual Reports at Shareholder and Board of Director meetings;
- Support the directing of EFC strategic planning and policy-making committees;
- Report urgently to the Board any situation where the ED’s opinion contrasts with the MD and the MD takes a final decision on the course of action in dispute (note this applies only to major management decisions of the institution which would require the sole discretion of the MD to commit the institution as authorized in the Delegation of Authorities and Delegation of Lending Authorities Policies);
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the MD.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Executive Director (ED) career opportunity should preferably hold a Master’s in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting, but a Bachelors may be considered combined with relevant experience; related studies desirable but a Bachelors may be considered combined with relevant experience;
- At least eight years of progressive experience in credit related positions of which three years should be of relevant senior management/executive experience in a financial institution focusing on credit operations (microfinance and MSE lending is desirable);
- The incumbent should have broad practical knowledge of and experience in risk and operations management in the financial services sector and the foresight to see how the intricate day-to-day activities link with and support the achievement of the vision and mission of the EFC.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Excellent problem solving skills and capacity for adaptability and work under pressure;
- Ability to manage a team of broad range of experience, competencies and technical skills
- Effective leadership, conflict management and negotiation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send a letter of interest explaining their motivation for the position applied for together with their Curriculum Vitae, three professional references and copies of academic certificates/diplomas. The complete applications must be sent via E-mail only to: HR_OFFICER@efcug.com.
NB: The job title should be included in the subject of each application.
Deadline: 8th July 2016 by 02:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline