Job Title: Environment, Social Governance (ESG) Manager
Organization: Maji Power Ltd
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Compliance Manager
Berkeley Energy is a renewable energy investment manager that invests in Asian and African emerging markets. Berkeley Energy currently manages the Africa Renewable Energy Fund (“AREF”). AREF is a USD $200m fund (final close in Q3 2015) corner stoned by the African Development Bank (“AfDB”) to invest into development stage renewable energy projects. Maji Power Ltd is a manager of the AREF renewable energy assets in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The ESG Manager will be responsible for the overseeing the environment, social, health and safety performance of all Maji Power Ltd’s projects.
- The ESG Manager will be contact for all ESG matters, communicating with the Compliance Manager.
- The ESG Manager will examine corporate activities to establish where improvements can be made and ensure compliance with environmental legislation across the organisation.
- During construction, Interface with the designated construction teams which will provide overall coordination of ESG aspects.
- Keenly review all contractors’ environmental and safety documentation and ensure completeness to national and international acceptable standards.
- Carry out important staff training and ensure all members of the work place (including contractor work force) recognise and understand their own contributions to improve environmental and social/health and safety performance. Comply with and seek the relevant project authorisations or permits.
- Continuously update and implement the various projects’ Environment and Social Management Plans (ESMPs’), and the various projects' Environment and Social Action Plans (ESAPs’).
- Perform inspections and audits on site activities and documentation at required frequencies, and ensure that the environmental monitoring and pollution prevention and control parameters are in accordance with government regulations through permits/licenses acquired and international standards.
- Prepare, compile and present projects’ E&S/HSE progress and performance statistics on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis or as required.
- Develop policies, programs, and associated communication documentation
- Implement mitigation measures ad required through the various ESMPs’
- Work closely with, document and manage the projects’ community relations representative(s). This will require overseeing the development of programs and implementation through the Community Development Action Plans’ and stakeholder engagement activities.
- The incumbent will implement and oversee the formal grievance mechanisms of the projects, compliant documentation, investigation, evaluation and identification of corrective measures. Supervise environment service agreements truck budget and cost control in relation to E&S activities.
- Initiate Environment, Social Management Systems’ (ESMS’) for all project and Human Resources policies in line with the national and International Labour Organisation (ILO) core standards with annual reviews.
- Keenly monitor the effectiveness of mitigation during construction and operations phases of the project, and instilling change management procedures.
- Examine ESH&S activities to establish areas of improvement and ensure compliance with environment legislation and international standards across the Company's interface with the projects’ team to discuss on-going corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) obligations and ensure smooth activity implementation during operations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a degree in an environmental science, engineering or equivalent qualifications.
- At least five years working in power generation as an ESH&S Manager with a preference for hydro or energy experience.
- Previous experience working in remote areas; role will involve frequent up-country travels
- Significant experience of implementing the Equator Principles and the environmental, social, health and safety standards of international finance institutions such as the World Bank, International Finance Corporation Performance Standards, African Development Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development etc. on major projects, an understanding of such documents is essential.
- Broad knowledge in Uganda’s Environmental, Social and Labour legislation.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Proven ability to lead and promote teamwork.
- Highly preferable that the candidate can speak Luo language.
How to Apply:
All applications should be e-mailed to Procurement@MajiPower.com addressed to the Managing Director, MajiPower Ltd. Please kindly include the application letter and updated CV (in pdf format)
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline