Job Title: Systems Administrator
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Manager University ICT Services
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education - not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
Job Summary: The Systems Administrator will be responsible for the configuration, implementation, and maintenance of the various ICT technologies managed by UCU’s Information Technology Department. The incumbent will administer and maintain UCU’s technology applications infrastructure including the overall server management of software applications, security monitoring, troubleshooting, storage/file management, all network resources administration, email administration, and regular backups. The Systems Administrator will also assist in assessing and identifying all appropriate software and hardware applications to be integrated into UCU’s infrastructure and make recommendations for implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will administer active directory, preferably Open LDAP
- Update and maintain network servers such as file servers, VPN gateways, and intrusion detection systems.
- Administer enterprise mail servers in Open-source environment (Linux/UNIX)
- Responsible for the maintenance of IP services like DNS, Web servers, Internet Gateways, all based on Linux/UNIX
- Support LANs, WANs, network segments, Internet, and intranet systems.
- Ensure that the design of all systems allows all components to work properly together.
- Ensure efficiency and availability of all Management Information Systems.
- Maintain network and system security as well as perform security updates and patches.
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the Manager University ICT Services
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the UCU Systems Administrator job placement must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Computer Engineering from a recognized institute of higher.
- At least two (2) years of work experience in a busy environment.
- Professional certifications in MCSE, CCNA will be an added advantage.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of TCP/IP networking is an added advantage
- Prior experience in thin client computing and Virtualization are key
- Previous exposure and experience in setting up and administering digital library services is key
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of Windows Server administration
- Broad knowledge of VoIP functionality is an added advantage
- The applicant must be a mature and committed Christian
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three (Academic, Leadership, Pastoral) references. Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts to:
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 22nd July 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline