Job Title: Enrolled Midwife
Organisation: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Action Against Hunger (ACF) is an International Humanitarian NGO which has been in existence for over thirty years. ACF has been implementing Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programs in the Lango, Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja regions of Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Enrolled Midwife will primarily be responsible for supporting health workers within government health facilities implementing maternal & child health & nutrition activities aimed at reducing acute malnutrition and micronutrient deficiency among pregnant and lactating (P&L) women within the Kiryandongo refugee settlement area.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support health workers at selected health facilities and established outreaches to conduct ANC and Post Natal care as per Ministry of Health guidelines for pregnant and lactating women admitted in the supplementary feeding programme.
- The incumbent will also ensure integration of maternal health services into supplementary feeding programme activities at health facility and community level.
- Manage referral and follow up for pregnant and lactating women with medical complications admitted in the supplementary feeding programme.
Assessment and Capacity Building:
- Actively participate in rapid nutrition assessment and nutrition surveillance conducted within the catchment area.
- Manage the collection, handling, analysis and reporting of data related to MCHN activities at targeted health facilities.
- Builds the capacity of health workers in prevention, identification and management of acute malnutrition among P& L women.
Staff Management & Supervision:
- Ensure the attendance of the staff under your supervision (VHTs for example)
- Coordinate the staff under your supervision
- Ensure that staff under your supervision are effectively engaged in their tasks
- Ensure technical and managerial support to staff under your supervision
Coordination & Representation:
- Participate in internal and external meetings according to the Project Manager’s guidance
- Actively participate in events organized in the refugee and host community setting
- Coordinate all other stakeholders in the refugee response
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Action Against Hunger (ACF) Enrolled Midwife job opportunity should hold a Higher Diploma in Nursing/Midwifery.
- At least three years’ experience in Nursing/ midwifery
- At least two years of previous experience working with an International NGO specifically as a nurse or midwife
- One year experience in management of acute malnutrition using IMAM guidelines.
- Previous experience in undertaking MCHN complementary activities i.e. growth monitoring, deworming, vaccination, Vitamin A supplementation for children 6-23 months and iron supplementation for P&L women.
- Effective communication skills
- Knowledge of word processor, spreadsheet and software use like ENA, SPSS plus other programs advantageous
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Diplomatic and culturally sensitive
- Possession of a valid motorbike riding permit is desirable
- Good written and spoken English language skills
- Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage (Kiryandongo)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications which should include ONLY a cover letter, CV (not more than 4 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contract. For email applications please note that attached documents should not be larger than 2MBs. All documents should be zipped in one folder. Any email larger than 2MBS will not be considered. Please send your email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning “Enrolled Midwife” in the subject line.
Deadline: 14th July 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline