Job Title: Engineering Officer
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager Kyaka II
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than twenty five countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Engineering Officer will be responsible for Kyaka II Office Works Supervision. The incumbent will offer support to DRC/DDG operations and coordination with program staff on support, training, guidelines and standard operating procedure as set by Danish Refugee Council (DRC).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Engineering Officer will manage the construction of all infrastructures and ensuring works are carried out as per set standards specified in the construction manual.
- In charge of preparing bills of quantities for construction works.
- Prepare budget estimates for infrastructure related activities.
- Prepare engineering drawings and designs.
- Regularly monitor quality and quantity of materials used in the field.
- Carry out technical assessments whenever required.
- Prepare monthly work plans and reporting on actual work achieved against planned.
- Supervise masons, ensuring that the workmanship is as per set standards.
- Work closely with the District engineering departments for any technical advice.
- Mentor and supervise the Engineering Assistant
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for this vacancy should hold a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from a recognized University or Institution;
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in labor based construction Technology (Cash for Work interventions)
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Ability to provide technical leadership in the field of infrastructure engineering;
- Being a strong team player and adept at creating a strong team spirit;
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and office;
- Ability to work with culturally diverse groups of people;
- Ability to travel and work in difficult conditions and under pressure;
- Computer literacy skills
- Knowledge of local language will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates are encouraged to send their applications that should be in English and include the following:
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
- Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
The complete documents can be uploaded online at the web link below
Deadline: 25th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline