Job Title: Engineering Assistant
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Engineering Supervisor
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Engineering Assistant will supervise the day to day infrastructure works including planning, validation of Parish Development Plans, community mobilization and monitoring of Infrastructure projects in Agago. The incumbent will ensure that technical specifications for all infrastructure works are in line with DRC’s construction manual
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Engineering Assistant will perform the following tasks:
- Set up, plan, supervise and monitor the implementation of the project;
- Actively participate in the planning process and in the validation of Parish Development Plans (PDPs)
- Supervise and monitor the work of masons and participating communities;
- Supervise the technical aspects of the project;
- Organize and supervise baseline data collection and implementation of the technical and economic/impact assessment;
- Manage the community mobilisation and the process of selecting Cash-For-Work beneficiaries;
- Ensure regular communication between communities at the project implementation sites and DRC
- Request materials to be purchased for the project;
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Work closely with the Engineering supervisor, work on project technical reports
- Work closely with all internal and external counterparts of the project;
- Continuously assess the security situation at project sites in close collaboration with the infrastructure Coordinator;
- Ensure protection of beneficiaries;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Engineering Assistant career placement should hold a Diploma in civil engineering;
- A minimum of four years of relevant work experience in labor based constructions
- Being a strong team player and adept at creating a strong team spirit;
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and office;
- Ability to work with culturally diverse groups of people;
- Ability to travel and work in difficult conditions and under pressure;
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
- Fluency in Local Language (Luo) is highly desirable
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria
- Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
All applications should be sent to email@example.com
Deadline: 27th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline