Job Title: Driver
Organisation: United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Vacancy Code: VA/2016/B5303/10552
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) strives to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness. By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
About KOICA Project:
The Korea International Cooperation Agency (“KOICA”) has approached UNOPS to implement its project entitled “the Establishment of the Vocational Training Institute in Uganda.” Uganda, among many other countries, is an official development partner country of the Republic of Korea represented by KOICA. The Uganda Office has therefore rolled out several projects within the country and intend to continue supporting Uganda in diverse sectors namely; agriculture, health, education, information and communications technology, energy and aviation. In the light of the aforementioned, the Uganda offices in the process of establishing a Vocational Training Institute in Kampala, Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Care and maintenance of the UNOPS/KOICA VTI project vehicles, including cleanliness and refueling;
- Perform driving tasks for the UNOPS/KOICA VTI project authorized personnel;
- Comply transport documentation i.e. daily logs; daily vehicle checklists;
- Ensure vehicles have appropriate documentation, i.e. accident forms, insurance papers up to date;
- Carry out radio check (if applicable) when required;
- Ensure vehicles have a full complement of safety and emergency equipment including fire extinguisher, first aid kit etc;
- Conduct daily vehicles inspections for serviceability and arrange servicing requirements;
- Assists in purchases accruing from petty cash, obtaining market prices, specifications, etc.
- Assistance with office tasks (photocopying, scanning, etc. as directed);
- Perform any other relevant task assigned by supervisor or senior management;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) Finance and Driver job placement should have completed Secondary education or equivalent.
- The applicant must hold a valid driver’s license from Uganda.
- At least two (2) years of experience working as a Driver.
- Previous experience as a driver with NGO or international organization is desired
- Security and first aid training is desired.
- Required Skills: Driving, Vehicle Maintenance, Travel Management, Incident Debriefing
- Desired Skills: Safety and Security - Advanced First Aid, United Nations Security System, NGO experience
- Knowledge of the use of radio is an asset;
- Knowledge of general mechanics of a vehicle, i.e. change tyres, boost a car battery, etc.
- Familiarity with some procurement processes (i.e. getting quotes for purchases, receiving invoices, etc.);
- Familiar with Kampala streets and neighborhoods and with the country geography.
- Languages: Intermediate knowledge of English language is required. Fluency in any of the local languages (both oral and written) is an asset.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Shows the capacity to ask questions when in doubt, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Creativity: Demonstrates his/her capacity work in multicultural environment. Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks outside the box; Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system.
Deadline: 5th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline