Job Title: Driver
Organisation: United States Government Peace Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy Announcement No.: 2016-012
About Peace Corps:
The Peace Corps is an agency of the United States Government, which sends American Volunteer development workers to assist in capacity building and technical assistance activities in over 70 countries worldwide. Peace Corps Uganda invites applicants for the position listed above which is based in Kampala, Uganda.
Job Summary: The Driver will operate Peace Corps vehicles in accordance with Peace Corps and U.S. Government requirements and with supervisor instructions to transport cargo and personnel, Trainees, and Volunteers to appointments in Kampala and, as may be needed, throughout the countryside, where Peace Corps and its Volunteers work within Uganda. The incumbent will also have assigned responsibility in the oversight and backup performance of periodic maintenance and repairs of Peace Corps vehicles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Driving: Contractor will operate official Peace Corps vehicles to transport passengers and cargo.
- Maintenance and repair: Contractor will insure that vehicles are maintained and repaired, either in-house or at referral site. With the GSM, Contractor will design, stock, and maintain vehicle maintenance systems and operate an in-house servicing capability. He will also wash and clean the vehicles as needed.
- Record keeping: Contractor will maintain vehicle logs that record each trip taken, odometer readings and time of departure and arrival for each trip. Each time that fuel is put in the vehicle, the Contractor will document on the mileage sheet the amount, odometer reading and date obtained. Any maintenance must also be recorded.
- Contractor will deliver and pick-up messages and parcels. He will make purchases as requested. He will do surveys of prices of goods.
- The Driver will load and unload heavy items into/from vehicles, as well as help move furniture and equipment from one part of the office and residences to another.
- Other duties as assigned by the GSM and/or the DMO.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should have completed elementary school; secondary and related trade school or specialized vehicles repair and maintenance trainings are highly desired.
- A minimum of three years of professional chauffeur experience and a valid local driver's license for following types of vehicles is highly preferred. Classes: B (motor cars),C (medium commercial), DL (light omnibus), DM (medium omnibus)
- Familiarity with local traffic laws and area traffic patterns is required; knowledge and prior work experience with electronic recordkeeping (computer usage) is also highly desired.
- Proven ability to deal with officials and occasionally VIPs in a relaxed but competent and professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of staff, businesspeople, property owners and PC Volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience of cross-cultural communication skills is highly desired.
- Must be legally able to work in Uganda.
- Language Proficiency: Ability to speak, read, and write in English (Level III) is required.
How to Apply:
ALL submissions must be electronic. (Please do not attach academic credentials to the email)
Please submit a Microsoft Word formatted letter of interest, resume, names and contacts information for three references to email@example.com. Please clearly indicate the position applied for on the subject line of your cover email in this format “Surname FirstName_Position Title” e.g. Katungu Bonita_Driver." Submitted documents become the property of Peace Corps and will not be returned. If called for an interview, you will be expected to bring copies of your academic credentials. Finalists from the first interview will be expected to bring a reference letter from their Local Council (LC1) as part of the final review process.
Deadline: 27th July, 2016 by 4:45 pm