Job Title: Customs Officer (Procedures & Facilitation)
Organisation: East African Community
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Reports to: Principal Customs Officer (Compliance)
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Job Summary: The Customs Officer (Procedures & Facilitation) will offer technical expertise and facilitate work in the development and implementation of regional customs strategies, laws, systems and procedures in EAC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical input and assist in monitoring, assessing and reporting on implementation of regional customs policies, strategies and plans on harmonisation of Customs systems and procedures based on the international standards and conventions;
- Make technical proposals on harmonization and simplifications of customs procedures and documentation to facilitate speedy clearance of goods in Customs;
- Offer support in the review and updating of Customs procedures in line with WCO and WTO Agreements and recommendations;
- Provide interpretation under the supervision of the Head of the Department on implementation of the EAC Customs Laws;
- Render support in the identification of implementation gaps of the customs union and propose redress mechanisms for consideration and adoption;
- Proof read, edit and make a follow up on the publications of EAC Customs documentation and instruments;
- In charge of coordinating the development and implementation of computerization and interfacing of customs operations in the Partner States;
- Carry out research and make reports on areas relating to Customs procedures and trade facilitation in EAC;
- Analyse and provide guidelines on international trends related to Customs procedures and application;
- Disseminate customs integrity programmes and implementation of a model code of conduct for Customs administrations;
- Design draft management instruments for identification and elimination of customs related NTBs
- Propose and design standards and monitoring and evaluation tools of customs systems;
- Provide technical input in the development manuals and evaluate implementation of quality assurance in Customs service delivery;
- Provide technical input in the development and harmonisation of the EAC Customs training curriculum;
- Partake in the training in customs officers and agents in liaison with Partner States Customs administrations;
- Disseminate information and sensitisation materials to stakeholders and other target groups;
- Facilitate technical committee meeting and assist in the preparation of progress and annual reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the East African Community Customs Officer (Procedures & Facilitation) job vacancy must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Law or an equivalent degree from a recognised University/Institution.
- Specialized training in Customs is a must.
- At least five years relevant experience in Customs.
- Skills and Competencies: Proficiency in computer applications with hands-on skills in a Customs Computer system; Management skills, planning skills, negotiations skills, networking skills, research skills, supervisory skills, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Age: Below 55 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three (3) referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate or Passport showing the date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and the envelope. For electronic submissions, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and forward to the address given below.
- Please submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional certificates; or fail to provide three referees shall be disqualified.
All invitations for interviews shall be done in writing to:
Executive Selection Division,
Deloitte Consulting Limited,
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: Monday, 15th August 2016, 17:00Hrs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline