Job Title: Communications Officer
Organisation: The Open Society Initiative for Eastern Africa (OSIEA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
The Open Society Initiative for Eastern Africa OSIEA's particular focus will be on pastoralism, land tenure governance, food systems and market access, governance and anti-corruption climate change and a fair investment framework. The Open Society Initiative for Eastern Africa promotes vibrant, tolerant democracies in the region by awarding grants, developing programs, and bringing together diverse civil society leaders and groups. The Open Society Initiative for Eastern Africa (OSIEA) is implementing the health and rights program which advances health rights in the region and current areas of focus include maternal health, harm reduction, palliative care, access to medicines, and health rights of marginalized populations.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will have the responsibility for providing strategic direction and advisory support on communications at the regional level. The Communications Officer identifies opportunities and then plans and develops strategies for OSIEA communication. The Communication Officer is also responsible for following-up on the execution, and ensuring smooth and effective implementation, of the OSIEA communication plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Developing and implementation of the Communication Strategy:
- Actively participate in the design of OSIEA’s regional communication strategy and oversee its implementation
- Support relevant program staff to acquire the skills for mainstreaming communication into programming
- Provide expert advice to the Executive Director on communication issues both internally and externally
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with key local, regional and international media outlets;
- Plan and coordinate the communication, profiling and showcasing of OSIEA’s work
Develop OSIEA communications and publications:
- Design content for the OSIEA website and supervise its upkeep
- Review write-ups from available program information for use in showcasing OSIEA’s program work
- Coordinate OSIEA’s input to OSF communication initiatives
- Ensure semi - annual publication of OSIEA Newsletter
- Ensure annual publication of OSIEA's magazine.
- Coordinate the production of the OSIEA documentary and other visual productions
- Explore the use of social media tools to promote OSIEA’s communication objectives (e.g. twitter, blogs, and Facebook page).
Undertake all administrative tasks in support of OSIEA communications activities
- Track media reports on OSIEA thematic issues in the sub-region and share relevant items. Identify and track media mentions of OSIEA and its grantees
- Maintain contacts and liaise with key local, regional and international media outlets.
- Work closely with the Open Society Foundations on OSIEA’s input to OSF communication initiatives
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a first degree in a relevant academic qualification.
- Possession of relevant postgraduate studies in journalism, communications or public relations
- A minimum of six years relevant work experience in journalism, international communications, and/or public relations
- Excellent computer skills including the ability to operate publishing software, databases spreadsheets and word processing programs at a highly proficient level
- Civil society sector experience is preferred
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences
- Exceptional analytic capacity and skills
- High degree of flexibility and willingness to work as a team member and independently, with a high level of self-motivation
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
- Ability to travel regionally and internationally on a frequent basis
- Excellent coordination, networking and facilitation skills
- Well-connected to media outlets in the region and internationally
- Excellent written and oral English.
How to Apply:
Please express you interest by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 22nd July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline