Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
Organisation: Mifumi Health Services
Funding Source: Comic Relief
Duty Station: Uganda
The MIFUMI Project is an international aid agency founded in 1989. Their mission is to reduce the burden of poverty by securing basic rights for people living in remote communities in Uganda (The MIFUMI Project, 2013). Mifumi Health Center (MHC), the only health center in Mifumi village, was set up by The MIFUMI Project and opened in 2001. The unit provides maternity services, including antenatal, delivery and postnatal care; primary health care and laboratory services, as well as health information and community outreach services. To date, MHC has attended to over 85,000 patients, mostly residents of Mifumi village. MHC is Mifumi Health Services (MHS) an autonomous division of MIFUMI.
About Comic Relief Project:
MIFUMI recently acquired a grant from Comic Relief to help secure healthier lives for the women and children of MHC catchment area through improved access to and quality of health services at MHC.
Job Summary: The Laboratory Assistant will work in close collaboration with the currently employed Laboratory Assistant at Mifumi Health Center support with running of Mifumi Health Center laboratory in line with roles and responsibilities associated with running a Health Center laboratory.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations;
- Conducting routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses;
- Constructing, maintaining and operating standard laboratory equipment, for example centrifuges, titrators, pipetting machines and pH meters;
- Ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced;
- Responsible for recording and sometimes interpreting results to present to senior colleagues;
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability;
- In charge of preparing specimens and samples;
- Responsible for following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Conducting any other laboratory-related tasks as shall be communicated by Management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the Laboratory Assistant job opportunity must hold a Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technicians (or equivalent) with at least 3 years work experience
- O’ Level Pass slip with at least 5 passes in English, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics/Agriculture/Health Science
- Prior experience practicing medicine in rural settings and willingness to relocate to MHC
- A command of the local language ‘adhola’ is desirable
- Conscious of human rights, especially the rights of women and children in society.
- Soft skills: Dependable, high integrity, team spirit, self-initiative, leadership among others.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should submit their E-mail applications including a cover letter, updated CV / resume and full academic credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 15th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline