Job Title: Chief Officer
Organisation: Ministry of Works and Transport (MoWT)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Captain
Salary: Shs. 3,150,000/= per month
The Ministry of Works and Transport (MoWT) exists to formulate policies, plans, set standards, build capacity carry out advocacy, regulate, monitor and evaluate the Works and Transport Sector. The Ministry also provides policy and strategic guidance to parastatal bodies under its supervision namely, Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA), Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and Uganda Railways Corporation (URC).In regard to Uganda Road Fund (URF), and MoWT provides political and operational oversight in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development.
About MV Kalangala:
The “MV Kalangala” is a modern multi-purpose marine vessel providing transport services between Kalangala District and the Mainland. The vessel meets International Standards and is fully classed and Insured accordingly.
Job Summary: The Chief Officer is responsible for performing vessel navigation watch duties and all deck department operations
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing the entire cargo operation including loading, unloading and cargo gears and cargo carried on board ship.
- Accountability of the stability of the ship and in-charge for maintenance of cargo gears and cargo carried on board the ship.
- Ensure that all the life saving and firefighting appliances of the vessel is operational.
- Scheduling and distributing work to deck crew and take part in conflict resolution.
- Maintenance of ship’s hull, garbage management for the deck and accommodation part of the ship.
- Managing of the ballast and de-ballasting operation done on board.
- Ensure that all the crew members are complying with latest relevant rules of MARPOL, SOLAS and STCW.
- Managing trainings in all the above regulations and conventions in accordance to government policy.
- Managing supply and revenue records, purchase order, requisition, and other paper work on behalf of the Ministry.
- In charge of supervising and monitoring overall safety for the deck crew and passengers on board ship.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Chief Officer must possess a minimum of Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education or equivalent.
- Possess at least Class III Certificate of Competency of a navigation officer from a recognised Marine Institution.
- Recorded seat-time of not less than 10 years, five of which MUST have been at a senior rank e.g. Master/Chief Officer/ Chief Engineer of a vessel not less than 50GRT.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
- Physically able to work for long hours in all weather conditions
- Previous experience on Inland Water ways and specifically on Lake Victoria would be an added advantage.
- Age: 30 years and above
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send handwritten applications with a detailed and certified Curriculum Vitae (CV) including telephone contacts (office and mobile), e-address; Copies of Certificates and Testimonials; and two recent coloured passport size photographs to the undersigned;
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Works and Transport,
P.O. Box 7174 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 11th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline