Job Title: Agri-business Development Officer
Organization: Ministry of Water and Environment
Project Name: Farm Income Enhancement and Forestry Conservation (FIEFOC) Programme (Project 2).
Funding Source: African Development Bank (AfDB)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: National Project Coordinator
The Government of Uganda (GoU) has applied for a loan from the African Development Bank (AfDB) to finance the Farm Income Enhancement and Forestry Conservation (FIEFOC) Programme (Project 2). The project specific objective is to improve household incomes, food security, and climate resilience through sustainable natural resources management and agricultural enterprise development. The project consists of four components namely: (i) Agriculture Infrastructure Development; (ii) Agribusiness Development; (iii) Integrated Natural Resources Management; and (iv) Project Management.
Job Summary: The Agri-business Development Officer will develop alternative livelihoods and business development initiatives and activities that will further the achievement of project objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Appraise and analyze the financial viability of the natural resources conservation-based value addition technologies for small-holder farmers;
- Identify and engage with national and local stakeholders (farmers, traders, mechanization and business service providers, financial institutions etc.) involved or interested in supporting the provision of agri-business services amongst smallholder farmers and facilitate linkages and contracts;
- Manage the development of youth-led agro-businesses under the ENABLE Youth pilot initiative to deliver agribusiness technical skills and enterprises to the youth;
- Prepare periodic progress reports;
- Build and maintain linkages to appropriate financial products targeting rural service providers and smallholder farmers in consultation with collaborating financial institutions.
- Manage the training of farmers, traders, mechanization and business service providers, and associated businesses in business management, financial management and marketing;
- Assess and enhance the performance of the business models and develop upgrading strategies;
- Significantly contribute to the development of promotional materials and marketing strategies by the private sector to support small scale mechanization;
- Regularly share information on progress of implementation and any challenges and emerging issues with the NPC to support rapid resolution of such challenges.
- Diagnose constraints in the delivery of agribusiness technical skills and enterprises and develop options;
- Facilitate establishment of market information system to farmers through mobile operators;
- Build and facilitate linkages between farmers and producers, processors and traders;
- Perform other duties as assigned from time to time by the National Project Coordinator.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Food Technology, Agribusiness or other related disciplines from a recognized university.
- Possession of a Master’s degree in agribusiness management, agricultural economics or other related disciplines.
- At least five years of relevant experience in value chain development methodologies, program management, agribusiness or agricultural development activities with local communities;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of agricultural value chains (Fish, Apiary, and Rice preferred)
- Proven exposure and experience supporting producer organizations to access agricultural inputs, advisory and business development services, and output markets; increase their production and marketing efficiencies; and enhance product competitiveness;
- Demonstrated high-level technical, analytical, interpersonal skills and ability to meet tight deadlines with logical analyses and clear presentation;
- Prior and proven experience successfully implementing African Development Bank/Nordic Development Fund/ World Bank funded programs is an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills and creative thinking personality
- Strong managerial and leadership skills and excellent computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications such as Excel, Power Point)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications accompanied with recent CV detailing work experience, present position, current remuneration, professional and educational qualifications. Applicants must also include contact details (telephone and email) of three (3) referees.
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Water and Environment,
Old Portbell Road, Luzira.
Attn: Head Human Resources Management
Deadline: 5th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline