Job Title: Africa Program Officer
Organisation: Right To Play
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Right To Play is a global organization, using the transformative power of play to educate and empower children facing adversity. Through playing sports and games, Right To Play helps over one million children learn through play to create better futures, while operating in more than 20 countries each week. Founded in 2000 by social entrepreneur and four-time Olympic gold medalist Johann Olav Koss, Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has national fundraising offices in Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Regional offices are in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. Our programs are facilitated by more than 600 international staff and 14,400 local volunteer Coaches.
Job Summary: The Africa Program Officer (APO) reports directly to the Africa Program Manager and teams up with the other Africa Program Officer, Education Specialist and Africa Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer to provide support to the Country Managers; and to communicate program results with the rest of the organization. The main function of the Africa Program Officer is to assist the Africa Team in fulfilling the goals of the Africa Office through the development, planning and implementation of its programs, policies and strategies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer continuous technical support to project staff at country level in the implementation of plans;
- Assist in the preparation of funding applications to institutional and private donors and where relevant liaise with HQ and National Offices regarding programme funding opportunities and the development of proposals.
- Ensure awareness of and compliance to grant requirements by monitoring the overall progress of projects, and providing oversight and technical assistance on daily implementation to ensure the implementation of quality programmes. Further support in ensuring that appropriate systems are in place in order to meet these requirements.
- Actively contribute to establishing, maintaining and strengthening relationships with donors.
- Support the continuous improvement of Right To Play’s knowledge base regarding programs, information and analysis;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Right To Play Africa Program Officer job opportunity should hold a Master’s Degree in social sciences, development studies, planning, education, sports or any other relevant discipline.
- At least four to six years of relevant professional experience in role(s) with comparable levels of complexity and technical relevance in field and/ or Global Office contexts.
- Significant experience coordinating, supporting and completing initiatives within complex, cross-functional organizations/projects.
- Previous experience in managing or supporting the management of grants and cooperation agreements for government donors.
- Prior experience in planning, budgeting and financial management
- Prior exposure and experience in writing program reports for institutional donors.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and French languages. Knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
- Planning & Organizing: Plans for and monitors the quality of own work activities to ensure that the highest standards are achieved; executes annual plans; anticipates potential obstacles and is comfortable with ambiguity.
- Financial & Business Acumen: Manages expenses of self and ensures cost effective use of resources in accordance with RTP procedures; identifies and participates in procedural changes for the benefit of the organization; conducts business in a professional and credible manner.
- Relationship Building: Position Right To Play in way that is favourable to current and potential donors and partners; obtains general buy-in and cooperation in situations where joint effort and problem solving are required to meet objectives; communicates clearly; is sensitive to cultural differences and perspectives;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send an updated resume and cover letter to: UgandaHR@righttoplay.com and kindly include “Africa PO” and your name in the subject line. Please indicate your salary expectations in the motivational letter and do not attach certificates at this point.
Deadline: 3rd August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline