Job Title: Agriculture Officer (5 Fresher Jobs)
Organization: Eastern Private Sector Development Centre and CARD Uganda Consortium (EPSEDEC/CARD Uganda)
Duty Station: Bugiri, Bukedea, Busia, Kumi and Pallisa, Uganda
Reports to: Field Technical Coordinator
The Eastern Private Sector Development Centre and CARD Uganda consortium (EPSEDEC/CARD Uganda) is an implementing partner of the IFAD/Government of Uganda funded Vegetable Oil Development Project-Phase 2 (VODP2). This is under a contract for the provision of agricultural extension and business partnerships development services to farmer groups in the oilseed value chain and is currently working with a total 252 farmer groups comprising of 5,200 farmers to increase production and productivity of soya bean, sunflower and sesame in the districts of Bugiri, Bukedea, Busia, Kumi and Pallisa.
Job Summary: The Agriculture Officer is responsible for ensuring timely and quality implementation of the VODP2 agricultural programs. The incumbent will also be responsible for application of appropriate and cost effective approaches and strategies to ensure increased farm production and productivity for the participating farmers and promotion of business linkages with other actors in the oilseed value chain in our area of operation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Planning and Forecasting:
- Develop seasonal farming calendars, based on the seasonal rainfall forecast in the hub, as a guide for planned agricultural activities,
- Actively contribute in developing annual implementation work plans for the project, ensuring that the agricultural activities are accurately scheduled; share these schedules with the farmers. Guide farmers in effective enterprise selection based on prevailing market and production conditions
- Develop and share with farmers, reports and feedback on implemented activities including a simplified income statement for the target enterprises in form of: production costs, attained yields/output, attained income and profits.
2. Project Implementation
- Supervise Community based Facilitators (CBFs) working in the sub counties of operation.
- Ensure a healthy growth and development of farmer groups; such that these farmers groups graduate to operate as self-reliant producer organizations by end of the project,
- Assess seasonal learning needs for the participating farmers to ensure that the extension training provided in that season addresses identified learning needs,
- Work closely with CBFs and farmers to establish demonstration plots to address specific learning needs of particular agricultural technologies identified,
- Mentor and train farmers & CBFs on the specific learning needs identified for a given season,
- Carry out an end of season evaluation of knowledge practice and technology adoption, to measure both the relevance of the technology and effectiveness of training delivery method, Working with the CBFs, mobilize farmers for collective and bulk purchases of farm inputs as well as farm produce through the collective marketing committees (CMCs),
3. Monitoring and Reporting:
- Contribute to the revision of monitoring tools for agricultural activities. Ensure all agricultural activities are properly documented using approved tools.
- Verify all records submitted by CBFs for agriculture activities before submission to M&E Officer
- Respond to / address questions arising from M&E team, Produce activity completion reports for all agricultural activities implemented and submit comprehensive quarterly reports on implementation of planned agricultural activities to the supervisor.
- Participate in the project M&E events such as midterm & end of project evaluation,
4. Supervision and Mentoring of the CBFs:
- Contribute to the review of job descriptions and contracts of the CBFs every six month
- Develop joint monthly implementation work plans with the CBFs every month
- Identify CBFs capacity gaps and organize on job coaching or formal trainings
- Keenly review CBFs monthly reports against work plans & ensure optimal CBF performance
- Work in close consultation with the Admin & Finance Manager, address CBFs performance & disciplinary issues timely.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Agriculture Officer job placement should preferably hold a University degree or Diploma in agriculture from a reputable institution; specialization in crop science or extension; specialized technical training in value chain development, farming as a business and collective marketing is an added advantage.
- A minimum of two years of practical field experience in implementing long term agriculture projects in conflict and/ or post conflict environments.
- Excellent communication; writing and presentation skills; pay attention to details,
- Excellent networking and liaison skills, coaching skills including training, delegation and presentation;
- Strong computer skills especially in MS excel, Word, Power point and Email use
- Ability to plan ahead, and yet accommodate unexpected tasks;
- Excellent skills in networking with communities and local leaders, flexible and understands field logistics constraints.
- Good security awareness and able to pay attention to details.
- Should be able to ride and operate a motor cycle.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates should send their cover letters and updated CVs clearly indicating the position applied for to:
The Team Leader,
EPSEDEC/CARD Uganda Consortium,
P.O Box 360 Mbale,
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Address: 3Km Mbale-Kumi Road
Namakweke, Northern Division Mbale Municipality
Deadline: 8th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline