Job Title: Legal Assistant (2 Job Opportunities)
Organization: Refugee Law Project (RLP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager, Access to Justice
The Refugee Law Project (RLP) is an outreach project of the School of Law, Makerere University. Our Mission is to empower asylum seekers, refugees, deportees, IDPs and host communities to enjoy their human rights and lead dignified lives. Refugee Law Project’s work is currently structured in five thematic areas: Access to Justice; Conflict, Transitional Justice & Governance (CTJ&G), Gender & Sexuality; Mental Health & Psychosocial Wellbeing; and Media for Social Change.
Job Summary: The Legal Assistant provides specific legal assistance to the assigned Legal officer and office in the provision of direct legal support to victims of forced migration and in carrying out policy advocacy on forced migration. The Legal Assistant also provides technical support to RLP in relation to Legal work through an active contribution in defining Legal priorities on research, partnership, alliance building and advocacy. The depth and scope of legal assistance work can be modified but within the major precincts of; Legal Service, Legal Documentation and Legal Advocacy.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Refugee Law Project (RLP) Legal Assistant job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized university
- Previous experience in representing clients before any quasi-judicial other governing bodies
- Prior experience in engaging with key partners on legal related issues
- Ability to operationalize legal assignments;
- Ability to give timely report on activities undertaken;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Creative and innovative skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high level of self-motivation;
- Computer literacy i.e. skills in MS Office applications
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Good touch typing skills of at least 30Words Per Minute;
- Fluency in Kiswahili and/or any other language spoken in refugee communities will be an added advantage
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements and are interested, we encourage you to address motivation letter and updated CV to the Human Resources Manager via E-mail to email@example.com. Please indicate the position applied for in the subject line of the email. Copies of certificates should not be attached, but will be requested for from short-listed candidates only.
Deadline: Friday 29th July 2016 by 5.00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline